Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 02:14 PM

Default AQs - the s is for sucks

I simply misplayed this hand. No reads, table is standard. Is calling the preflop raise okay given position? Is betting the turn stupid or just dumb? Any other crimes against the poker gods I should know about?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, CO folds, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

River: (18.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 24.50 BB
Old 05-20-2005, 02:20 PM

Default Re: AQs - the s is for sucks

If you were on the button instead of in the SB I would strongly consider 3-betting this pre-flop after those callers. I would at least complete here every time.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:23 PM

i think you should open check the turn and river.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:23 PM

1. Why aren't we 3betting the river?

2. Why are we betting the turn?

2. I don't know if I agree about the preflop 3bet. Everyone is going to call one more bet, might as well wait to raise later so we don't bloat the pot.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think you should open check the turn and river.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-20-2005, 02:32 PM

we're staying in this hand on the flop because we think CO is bluffing and we have odds to call and then we get better odds thanx to UTGs goofyness?
Old 05-20-2005, 02:34 PM

I wouldn't 3-bet preflop either but it's mainly to do with position IMHO, not this:

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone is going to call one more bet, might as well wait to raise later so we don't bloat the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-20-2005, 02:36 PM

I'm not seeing the call on the flop. When the CO bets this I think you have to raise it up to fold out as many of the hands between you as possible. From the looks of it you may have been 3-bet, but that would have told you you were up against a big PP and/or a T. Then you could have avoided betting the turn because you'd know you were unlikely to take it down though you would still be stuck calling now that you've picked up the nut flush draw. BB's play on the turn clearly indicates he has a big 'un he's trying to get max value out of. I would be wary of leading out with my flush without reads that he'd overplay a lone T this way. After the river raise it seems you must be up against a KT in the BB and maybe AA from UTG+1 from the way it played out is my guess.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:40 PM

Disclaimer: started playing poker only 6 weeks ago, so I probably don’t know what I am talking about.

Having said that,

could one raise the flop after Co bets or is there already so much money in the pot that those who are going to fold are going to do it anyway?

I would check the turn and value 3 - bet the river.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:42 PM

i don't like some people's option of 3-betting the flop OOP - although if i was the button i might

if you're going to play after this flop you have to raise to clean up your 6 overcard outs. i don't think this is negotiable.

that's a terrible flop for you though - i dunno if i could stay around with 4 people (including the PF raiser) behind me.