Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 12-11-2005, 09:20 PM

Default Re: ***OFFICIAL the Vikings win the NFC North thread***

Dave it should have been obvious we don't have the tiebreaker edge by the fact I said if we won out the Bears also needed to lose to at least one of SF or GB. I'm disappointed you don't just trust me.

You should really double your bet now with him. Get him while you can, since after the Bears lose and Vikes win next week he won't let you double. And before anyone suggests I take on half the action, I don't bet on sports because Barry G says not to + betting on/against home town teams is never a good idea (betting on them sucks because it might be the inner fanboy not letting you see reality, betting against sucks because now you can't truthfully root for them).
Old 12-12-2005, 01:06 AM

Actually, the division record is the #2 tiebreaker (after head-to-head), but if the assumption is that each team wins out and then the Vikes beat the Bears, it would go to #3, which is conference record.

So if the Bears lose to the Packers, the Vikes can lose to either the Steelers or Ravens, and then beat the Bears to win the division. They'll both be 10-6, but the Vikes will be 5-1 in the division and the Bears will be 4-2 and the Vikes win it.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:16 AM

#4 after the conference record is strength of victory, thats for divions though.

In the wild card #4 is common games which is the record that both teams have against teams theyve both played, which has to be a minimum of 4. If that was tied it goes to #5 strength of victory.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:18 AM

Btw I think the Vikings lose their next 2 games, don't overlook the Ravens heh theyve played tough in random games.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
betting on/against home town teams is never a good idea (betting on them sucks because it might be the inner fanboy not letting you see reality

[/ QUOTE ]

I only did it after dougie did, and i think we can both be pretty sure that it was not his inner fanboy causing him to bet on the vikes [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-12-2005, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
***OFFICIAL the Vikings win the NFC North thread***

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh
Old 12-12-2005, 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So WHEN the Bears lose to the Packers, the Vikes can lose to either the Steelers or Ravens, and then beat the Bears to win the division

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-12-2005, 05:41 AM

I actually was a little off, but same idea.

NFL tiebreakers
Old 12-12-2005, 01:42 PM

As one TV announcer said last year, the Vikings have a team culture of self destruction. The collective team ego is vastly overinflated right now, after beating a Rams team that couldn't make a decent showing in a BCS Bowl game. The Vikes have only beaten one half-way decent team this year, the Giants. The rest of the teams that they have beaten have a current combined record of 19-45. I look for them to get crushed by the Steelers, precipitating the trademark late season Minnesota collapse.

An interesting comment by one of the Fox analysts yesterday. Culpepper is doing his rehab in Florida, not in Minnesota. He is supposed to be the team leader, and doesn't care enough to stick around for a possible play-off run? This isn't a team, it's just a bunch of guys that play for pay.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As one TV announcer said last year, the Vikings have a team culture of self destruction. The collective team ego is vastly overinflated right now, after beating a Rams team that couldn't make a decent showing in a BCS Bowl game. The Vikes have only beaten one half-way decent team this year, the Giants. The rest of the teams that they have beaten have a current combined record of 19-45. I look for them to get crushed by the Steelers, precipitating the trademark late season Minnesota collapse.

An interesting comment by one of the Fox analysts yesterday. Culpepper is doing his rehab in Florida, not in Minnesota. He is supposed to be the team leader, and doesn't care enough to stick around for a possible play-off run? This isn't a team, it's just a bunch of guys that play for pay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes Minnesota has piled up some wins against easy teams but look at there losses. They have lost to TB,CAR,ATL,CHI,CIN all of which are good teams. So while they have not beat any powerhouses they are winning the games you are supposed to and they haven't lost to a team that isn't at least 2 games above .500 not many team in the league can say that.

As for Culpepper, he is going through a very intense physical training right now. The team is probably more concerned with him rehabbing and staying off his knee rather then flying in and out of Minnesota everyweek.

Also lets not forget that the Vikings were looked at as "easy game" just 6 weeks ago and have been underdogs in 3 of the 6 games in the winning streak so far and have been 6-0 ATS spread as well as straight up over the last 6 weeks not much more you can ask for then that.