Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 03:23 PM

Default 88 on button bad lay down

10 /20 at party poker two callers so i raise
sb calls bb folds
flop is 5d 5h 4h
sb bets midle pos calls next guy raises
Old 11-22-2005, 03:25 PM

Default Re: 88 on button bad lay down

I would three bet this. Flop action is notoriously suspect.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:29 PM

Make it 3. I can't put him on a 5. 44 is possible, but that's only 3 combos. I don't think he has a higher pp because most players will raise that hand preflop. An argument could be made for calling and raising the turn to make the callers laydown, or pay much for drawing. I think I prefer 3-betting the flop as the flop raise could be made by a strong draw, most likely a fd and in that case you won't get the opportunity to raise the turn since he'll check.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:32 PM

Unless you have reason to think that the raiser would never raise a draw I would 3-bet. This is a bit read-dependent but I would put the initial bettor on the 4 rather than the 5 and the raiser on a draw rather then the 5. You have an overpair and you might as well play it on this flop like you had AA. Would you fold AA here? If you think that would be a correct fold then folding 88 certainly is. However if I had AA, I might be more inclined to just call and see if a safe turn comes. If he has 6h7h he has a ton of outs but I don't care too much about the bettor and limper because they probably have few outs against me.

But with 88 a 3-bet should get most of the scary overcards (flop caller and maybe SB's other card) to fold even though not the draw.

Again, a lot of this is read dependent.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have an overpair and you might as well play it on this flop like you had AA.

[/ QUOTE ] There's a big differance in equity between these hands on the flop. For example, if anyone is on a fd he is likely to have 15 outs against 88 but 9 against AA.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:14 PM

I don't mind folding this. The pot is pretty small and if you are behind you'll end up paying a lot on later streets.
Plus, most of the turn cards are scary and you won't know what to do when somebody bets. Even a flush draw probably has 12 outs against you.