Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 01:15 PM

Default Re: I am a giant fish in the live Omaha game.

No actually, that is the part that is giving me the most trouble. I will think I have the best low and then an ace will come on the river and someone with a junk hand will scoop the pot or get my half.

I think I have to quit playing A2 with out another low card.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:35 PM

Isn't any A2 profitable in the long-run? It may not feel like it when an ace his on the turn or river three times in a row, but it seems that limping any A2 is +EV from any position in the live games round here. I'd ususally throw away a bad A2 to a raise from a tight or normal player but that is about it.

If you can learn when to muck it, I expect you will find it remains profitable for you.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:54 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. I hope it was at 3/6 and not 10/20.

I had an opportunity to spend a few hours at Belterra yesterday, and noticed a 3/6 full kill O8 interest list with 5 names. The floor said he would spread it if he had one more, so I figured what the heck. We were able to build the game to 9 players within 30 minutes.

I read Zee's book about 8 months ago (mostly for the Stud 8 section as that is regularly spread at my home game), and I've studied some of what is on o8poker.com. I am now completely hooked.

Thanks for my new addiction. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

If you see me at Caresars, make sure to let me know if you are trying to get a game going.

Brian
Old 11-18-2005, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I struggle with knowing when my low gets counterfeited. I was raising with what I thought was a giant and I didn't actually have a hand. Just stupid that is all.

[/ QUOTE ]Try playing for a while on some play money sites for the sole purpose of improving your hand recognition skills. Just ignore how the other players play though, and only concentrate on the board cards, your cards, what king of hand you think you have, and then what it actually turns out to be. With enough repetition, hand recognition will start to become second nature.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:13 PM

Excellent suggestion. Also try and determine what the current nuts are, what draws could be there that would beat the current nuts and calculate how many outs you have.

I too spent a week on the play money side just working on my hand recognition skills. Helped dramatically when I finally started playing for real.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I struggle with knowing when my low gets counterfeited.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should always know ahead of time what cards will counterfeit your high and/or low hand. For example when you have A2xx with no other wheel cards and a 2 flops, it is going to be very difficult for you to make any sort of low.

Much like in Hold 'Em, you should always at least be aware of what the stone-cold nuts are.