Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2005, 09:51 AM

Default I am a giant fish in the live Omaha game.

Two BIG mistakes and I am stuck like a pig. I guess that is to be expected when you are learning a new game but it still makes me feel stupid.

I probably don't have to worry about getting action on my raises in the near future.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:22 AM

Default Re: I am a giant fish in the live Omaha game.

What happened?
Old 11-12-2005, 04:51 PM

I struggle with knowing when my low gets counterfeited. I was raising with what I thought was a giant and I didn't actually have a hand. Just stupid that is all.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I struggle with knowing when my low gets counterfeited. I was raising with what I thought was a giant and I didn't actually have a hand. Just stupid that is all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reminds me of a live game about ten years ago, where a gal kept reraising me (I had the nuts on a hig only board.) She showed down a hand of 4 kings, didn't understand why they did not play....

Enjoy!

PS you might try some .5/1 on Party to get used to the game, or .25/.5 at UB.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:50 PM

What book have you found helpful for Omaha? I've been doing some "free" practice on the internet, but that gets crazy.
What Omaha is spread at Caesars Indiana? I want to get ready to try swimming with the sharks.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:06 PM

first off, let me say that limit omaha is a practice in fulitity for those with short tempers and high emotional states. i do not like limit O8B, i prefer PLO8B, as it is a bette version of the game where you can make people pay for playing the crap that dominates hands played in limit.

to be succesful in PLO8B, you must be patient, but not too patient, as people will overplay their hands very often, especially at the lower limits, such as the $100-$400 PL buy in games on party.

for a true poker player, PLO8B is a wonderful game because it attracts gamblers. that is why i said above that patience is a virtue in this game.

reading players for hands is also critical. it is rarely correct to raise and bet with just a low hand, unless you're usre you've quartered two high hands.

playing the flop is critical, and being able to laydown non-nut hands is essential.

you'll never be sorry you threw away that queen hihg flush draw or your A5 low.

the best advice i can give a PLO8B player is to practice patience, and play tight. I can promise you that if you wait for the big hands, you will be a winning player, you might be bored on the rail wanting to play more hands, but so what?

also, notice how often players raise PF with low only hands. i've noted a few of my opponents who raise with A,2 and another wheel card every time they get it, and will continue to show strength on high only flops until they get popped back.

Another thing to consider is playing high only hands....and when to throw them away.

if you've been playing hold'em mostly, and try to take a strong hold'em hand into an omaha game, you'll get pulverized.
Learn to throw away overpairs and bottom sets, small flush draws, and not nut straights if there is any indication that at least one opponent has the nuts.

The times you call with your strong hands that arent the nuts will lose you much more money than when you do win with them.

Tex
Old 11-13-2005, 09:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What book have you found helpful for Omaha? I've been doing some "free" practice on the internet, but that gets crazy.
What Omaha is spread at Caesars Indiana? I want to get ready to try swimming with the sharks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ray Zee's book is best so far but not really a beginner's book. Winning Omaha 8 by Tenner & Krieger seems to be pretty good.

Caesar's IN has a Pot Limit High Only game every Wednesday and Usually Fridays. They also spread $3-6 Omaha Hi/LOw with a full kill and $10-20 Omaha Hi/Low with a half kill but the games don't always go and they tend to break up easily. They games do seem to be getting stronger and being spread more often.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:01 AM

Bummer. Have you found a way since you posted this to "see" it more clearly?
Old 11-14-2005, 09:52 AM

The only think I know to do is keep on playing and pay more attention. I only have four sessions of live Omaha and was ahead before Friday night. I am just learning the game so I am not going to beat myself up to much for making a couple of stupid noob mistakes but I am going to do everything in my power not to repeat those mistakes.

Making the assumption that being a loser is not an option, then you have two choices, get better or quit playing.

Making a post about being a fish doesn't add much value to the forum but it does me a lot of good.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:37 AM

No I meant do you understand *when* a low is counterfeited, etc?

Hey we've all been noobs. I will admit here and now that the first time I ever sat down to a live Omaha O8 game I thought it was high only, I had never played any Omaha at all and didn't have any idea what a "low" was! (What an idiot!) I sat there the entire night just playing for high hands (believe it or not I got quad 3's that night) - and just turning my cards over at the end of each hand. I've never done anything that ridiculous! The dealer would say, "There can't be a low" and I'd be sitting there thinking, "What the he** is he talking about?!" As soon as I got home I turned on the computer and learned all about what the heck a low was, etc - and couldn't wait to go back again. And so it all began.....