Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Re: No one answered me question!!!

[ QUOTE ]
pragmatism, which for obvious reasons is a poor solution

[/ QUOTE ]

???
Old 11-05-2005, 05:34 PM

many people have you figured as being among the elite of the on-line players. you have a website, and seem to be, at times, happy w/ and proud of your play. why? you are just a character in a movie---like the roll on a player piano. you make no decisions, so why should anyone give you credit for having 'talent'? and given your views, how could you make a fool of yourself by having a website? after all, any success you 'display' is not of your doing................b
Old 11-05-2005, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

???

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a philosophical cop-out, an admission there's no purpose or meaning to life, an irrational leap of faith that man somehow has significance while stating that meaning is impossible. It's also where all non-theistic worldviews end up.
Old 11-05-2005, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
many people have you figured as being among the elite of the on-line players. you have a website, and seem to be, at times, happy w/ and proud of your play. why? you are just a character in a movie---like the roll on a player piano. you make no decisions, so why should anyone give you credit for having 'talent'? and given your views, how could you make a fool of yourself by having a website? after all, any success you 'display' is not of your doing................b

[/ QUOTE ]

Your point seems to be that life is meaningless since we make no decisions. This is not the case at all. I take great pleasure out of my life. The fact that my life has been predertimened doesn't matter to me in the least. Why should it?
Old 11-05-2005, 07:56 PM

Default Re: Restating the Paradox

My contribution to this thread can be found here:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...Number=3837376
Old 11-05-2005, 07:58 PM

i did not use the word 'meaningless', for starters. my question was straightforeward, your answer:"why should it". ok, fair enough, what will you say on your website next tuesday when you are out on bail, pending trial, for an attack on a college co-ed? will you still be "taking great pleasure out of your life"? you are foreclosed from saying "that can't happen", and you are on record as being very happy over being a player in this drama w/ no ability to alter the course of events. btw, are you taking into acct the fact that taking pleasure out of your life is merely a determined event? perhaps next tuesday on your website you will be telling us you are taking great pleasure out of awaiting trail. remember: it could go down that way and there is nothing you could do about it............b
Old 11-05-2005, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i did not use the word 'meaningless', for starters. my question was straightforeward, your answer:"why should it". ok, fair enough, what will you say on your website next tuesday when you are out on bail, pending trial, for an attack on a college co-ed? will you still be "taking great pleasure out of your life"? you are foreclosed from saying "that can't happen", and you are on record as being very happy over being a player in this drama w/ no ability to alter the course of events. btw, are you taking into acct the fact that taking pleasure out of your life is merely a determined event? perhaps next tuesday on your website you will be telling us you are taking great pleasure out of awaiting trail. remember: it could go down that way and there is nothing you could do about it............b

[/ QUOTE ]

What's your point?
Old 11-05-2005, 11:36 PM

try a couple of re-reads .....some things have to sink in, unless one is in denial, and then they can't (for now)......b
Old 11-06-2005, 01:26 AM

Default Re: Restating the Paradox

But you will still always be left with this argument...

1. God is omnipotent
2. Humans are not omnipotent
3. Humans cannot understand what an omnipotent being would do
Old 11-06-2005, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
pragmatism, which for obvious reasons is a poor solution

[/ QUOTE ]

It works in practice but not theoretically.. umm, means the theory is wrong in my opinion [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
t's a philosophical cop-out, an admission there's no purpose or meaning to life, an irrational leap of faith that man somehow has significance while stating that meaning is impossible. It's also where all non-theistic worldviews end up.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it is not a cop-out. The problem is that the question your pose implies that a meaning is neccesary. That is not so. To paraphrase your own saying: This is not the case at all. I take great pleasure out of my life. The fact that my life is totally devoid of meaning and has no significance doesn't matter to me in the least. Why should it?