Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 04:37 AM

Default Re: Wrestling Angles that worked

I'd say the three most successful were:

1. Hulkamania (WWF, 1984-1987): Hulk Hogan as the all-American hero who conquered all obstacles worked very well in it's early years. When he beat Andre the Giant at WrestleMania III, it was a great moment.

It's truly amazing that Vince McMahon made such a great choice for his "chosen one". Hogan had gained popularity in the midwest AWA region due, in part, to his appearance in Rocky III. But, for McMahon to annoint him as champion immediately upon his entrance into the WWF in January of 1984 and for Hogan to take off like he did seems almost magical. Within half a year, wrestling went from a saturday afternoon TV show to something which was being show live on MTV (Moolah vs. Richter & Hogan vs. Piper) and then to great success in close-circuit TV and Pay-Per-View.

2. New World Order (WCW, 1996-1997): The invasion storyline had been done before in Japan. But, it was completely fresh in the U.S. Scott Hall's and Kevin Nash's early appearances in WCW, pretending to still work for the WWF, was a completely unique way to introduce new performers- especially since they were now using their real names. When Hogan made his long overdue heal turn, it sealed the nWo's future.

3. Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Vince McMahon (WWF, 1998): Austin portrayed the anit-hero perfectly. More importantly, he had the ultimate villian in Vince McMahon. McMahon had been on WWF TV for more the two decades. By 1998, all fans knew he actually owned the company and wasn't just a broadcaster. McMahon was probably the only guy who had the credibility to pull off that role. Austin vs. McMahon was a great "regular guy vs. the system".
Old 11-02-2005, 04:39 AM

One Example from ECW is the feud between Taz and Sabu. Former partners whose feud built up over almost a year without either of the two facing each other in the ring. Damn I need to go back and get all the details. Those who watched ECW will know what I'm talking about.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
pride

[/ QUOTE ]

Have an example that you remember?
Old 11-02-2005, 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say the three most successful were:

2. New World Order (WCW, 1996-1997): The invasion storyline had been done before in Japan. But, it was completely fresh in the U.S. Scott Hall's and Kevin Nash's early appearances in WCW, pretending to still work for the WWF, was a completely unique way to introduce new performers- especially since they were now using their real names. When Hogan made his long overdue heal turn, it sealed the nWo's future.

3. Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Vince McMahon (WWF, 1998): Austin portrayed the anit-hero perfectly. More importantly, he had the ultimate villian in Vince McMahon. McMahon had been on WWF TV for more the two decades. By 1998, all fans knew he actually owned the company and wasn't just a broadcaster. McMahon was probably the only guy who had the credibility to pull off that role. Austin vs. McMahon was a great "regular guy vs. the system".

[/ QUOTE ]

These are two of the angles that I did enjoy the most. After Austin was injured the WWF really started to go downhill.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
pride

[/ QUOTE ]

Have an example that you remember?

[/ QUOTE ]

You missed the joke. Pride as in the pride fighting championship. Smallish NHB fighting confederacy out of japan. They have some ties to pro wrestling and usually put on a pretty good show
Old 11-02-2005, 04:49 AM

Brutus the Barber dishing out sleeper holds and haircuts

Hart Foundation vs British Bulldogs, and the crooked ref who later fought alongside the Hart Foundation

Any time they get some midgets in there and its 4 midgets vs 1 regular guy
Old 11-02-2005, 04:50 AM

The Undertaker-Kane feud was one of the ones I found most entertaining. All the DX stuff got my attention back in the day as well. Everything between Stone Cold and the Rock was also really crazy because their stardom just grew so wildly out of control that everything they did together was special.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:53 AM

I'm straight so I don't watch wrestling. But when I was in college I saw some matches where the ring hookers tried to tear the clothes off each other. That's good stuff.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Hulkamania (WWF, 1984-1987): Hulk Hogan as the all-American hero who conquered all obstacles worked very well in it's early years. When he beat Andre the Giant at WrestleMania III, it was a great moment.

It's truly amazing that Vince McMahon made such a great choice for his "chosen one". Hogan had gained popularity in the midwest AWA region due, in part, to his appearance in Rocky III. But, for McMahon to annoint him as champion immediately upon his entrance into the WWF in January of 1984 and for Hogan to take off like he did seems almost magical. Within half a year, wrestling went from a saturday afternoon TV show to something which was being show live on MTV (Moolah vs. Richter & Hogan vs. Piper) and then to great success in close-circuit TV and Pay-Per-View.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interestingly enough not only did McMahon choose Hogan but he also used the formula from Rocky III basically exclusively during those years.

Popular champion loved by people. unstoppable monster climbs the ranks quickly destroying his competition. I believe the lineage went Big John Studd (Madison square gardens, King Kong Bundy (WM2) and Andre The Giant (WM3. Each time Hogan would first get beat up or embarrassed and seem to be completely overmatched.

Good Stuff.

Another good Hogan angle from the time was when Paul Orndorff (Mr. Wonderful) turned on Hogan after a tag team match and pile drived him in the center of the ring.

The one constant in all the Hogan feuds? Bobby The Brain Heenan. Piper gets a ton of credit but it was Heenan IMO who was ultimate Hogan foil. It was quite similar the Lex Luthor vs. Superman type.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:58 AM

I think the....what's-his-face....anyways, the guy who was pretty much a backyard wrestler who would get thrown off the cage, had a hand puppet, and was just well liked by everyone interested in the WWF. Mic Foley or something like that? It was only good for the WWF.