Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 09:36 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: Confidence Boosting -- 10/20 Hand #3

you could probably pull off a bet-3bet on the river when he has a big K. that also stops a free showdown from JJ or AQ or whatever
Old 11-01-2005, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
this is a line i never take.

[/ QUOTE ]

probably because it gets you less money against most donks

[/ QUOTE ]

The advantage of this line is that most 10/20 donks have no idea how to interpet turn donkbets. They pretty much invariably put you on a picked up draw and raise their A high or wahtever for a free SD. Its also a good way to make sure you get at least 2 bets out of them on the expensive streets if they have a PP below the top card on the board, since tehy will often check through the turn or river in that scenario.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you could probably pull off a bet-3bet on the river when he has a big K. that also stops a free showdown from JJ or AQ or whatever

[/ QUOTE ]

i was thinking this as well. however, i would only advocate this if he is definitely aggro. i think its better to get the sure 2 bets out of an unkown.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:54 PM

I prefer to bet the river here so he can't take the free showdown he might have tried to buy on the turn. If he raises you can 3-bet.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:58 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i was thinking this as well. however, i would only advocate this if he is definitely aggro. i think its better to get the sure 2 bets out of an unkown.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking that any K he'll raise the turn with he'll raise on the river too but I guess that's not really a given.

looking forward to finding the drunk guy at the bellagio 30 on friday
Old 11-01-2005, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking that any K he'll raise the turn with he'll raise on the river too but I guess that's not really a given.

[/ QUOTE ]

But what if he takes the free showdown with A high? Or 99? One of the draws that Hero might have been donking (56) got there.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So you think check/call and leading turn provokes more calldowns/bluffs than checkraising flop? Interesting. My plan is generally either to c/r flop or c/r turn after a flop like this, depending on how likely the villain is to autobet turn

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed 100%.

Schneids,

The stop & go line you took on the flop/turn is much better for when you have nothing.
It just seems to me like whenever I try this with a hand, (top pair would be considered a "hand" of course) villain either folds when I'm winning or raises when I'm losing.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:25 AM

Hi Mike,

I am sure you know better than I do, but I checkraise the flop and bet any turn. But my typical opponent wouldn't fold an Ace or a pair prior to the river if I held him at gunpoint, so I am not worried about him folding those. Against an opponent that I know is more capable of folding I am more likely to take your line.

Cartman
Old 11-02-2005, 07:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Mike,

I am sure you know better than I do, but I checkraise the flop and bet any turn. But my typical opponent wouldn't fold an Ace or a pair prior to the river if I held him at gunpoint, so I am not worried about him folding those. Against an opponent that I know is more capable of folding I am more likely to take your line.

Cartman

[/ QUOTE ]
Cartman,

Schneids has top pair of kings this hand. Which hands do we want villain folding? Villain will NEVER EVER fold a hand (K8+, AA, 44, X3) that beats us.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Cartman,

Schneids has top pair of kings this hand. Which hands do we want villain folding? Villain will NEVER EVER fold a hand (K8+, AA, 44, X3) that beats us.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want him to fold his Ace high and worse pair hands. But I know that my typical opponent won't fold these so I checkraise the flop and bet the turn, which is the line that I think will usually result in the most value. The reason for my comment is that I suspected that Schneids took his line in part so as not to scare his opponent in to folding hands that he wanted him to call with.

Cartman