Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 10-31-2005, 12:16 AM

Default Re: thinking about going into isolation

[ QUOTE ]

Now I don't know if spending time camping and away from it all would change that but for whatever the thought of it really excites me right now and is more realistic than the alternative for me which was going back in the army and trying to get to Iraq.

If that makes any sense

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, go camping or go to Iraq? Sounds like you could really use some time to unwind. Camping is a great way to get away from the mundane sameness of day to day life.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Now I don't know if spending time camping and away from it all would change that but for whatever the thought of it really excites me right now

[/ QUOTE ]

For anyone who can even stand the outdoors, time away from modern society almost always brings a fresh perspective on things.

I go on a camping trip every year. In fact, I've gone almost every year of my life. It's a far cry from 'real' camping, though. It's basically just a festival on camgrounds near a river with lots of trees, but most people do camp out there for about a week.

Anyway, that trip always brings me a lot of peace. I would probably be a much grumpier person if I didn't get that yearly escape, and it's my belief that the calm I get from it is a direct result of the time spent outdoors away from city life. Time slows down, and the important things in life become much easier to appreciate.

Well, that's how it is for me, anyway.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
See im not an outdoors person at all and its something I would normally choose to do. I'm definently a hotel guy over camping guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, dude, you can not just go camping for 3 weeks. It will be a disaster. Take weekend warrior trips and go someplace cool. Fly if you have too. Start small. You haven't done enough camping to go on a 3 week excursion.

Pic up some camping books/mags:
http://outside.away.com/index.html
http://www.patagonia.com/ (order a free catalog and look at the pics)
http://www.backpacker.com/

All the major magazines do a review of all the major national parks at least once a year. Go to the library and find a copy. Find a park that sparks your interest and go there.

As for shoe's

http://www.vasque.com/

again gore-tex (or generic breathable waterproof membrane) is your friend.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:25 AM

yeah I agree 3 weeks is too long. If I was alone for 3 days I'd go out of my mind. I think you need a lot of warm dry clothes, books, paper, and a friend. Only go for a few days.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Ok, dude, you can not just go camping for 3 weeks. It will be a disaster. Take weekend warrior trips and go someplace cool. Fly if you have too. Start small. You haven't done enough camping to go on a 3 week excursion.

Pic up some camping books/mags:
http://outside.away.com/index.html
http://www.patagonia.com/ (order a free catalog and look at the pics)
http://www.backpacker.com/

All the major magazines do a review of all the major national parks at least once a year. Go to the library and find a copy. Find a park that sparks your interest and go there.

As for shoe's

http://www.vasque.com/

again gore-tex (or generic breathable waterproof membrane) is your friend.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good information wacki keep it coming.

As for the the length. I weekend or few days, sort of defeats the whole purpose. I'm looking for a challenge here. the fact that there is a very real possibility that it could be a complete disaster is what appeals and excites me. Im looking to challenge myself here.

[ QUOTE ]

Ok, dude, you can not just go camping for 3 weeks. It will be a disaster.

[/ QUOTE ]

He can always leave if he doesn't want to stay there for three weeks, right?

Plus, from what I can tell, the challenge of it is one of the main reasons he is interested in doing this. Two weeks doesn't sound bad to me.

After I got well into recuperation from a serious operation and hospital stay, I wanted to "get the hell outta Dodge." I hadn't been camping since scouting days. For some reason I remembered the fun.

I went to a sporting goods/outdoor crap store and bought my stuff, loaded my car and went to the Ozarks in November. Not as cold as Oregon, but cold.

Best friggin' idea I'd had for years. This time of year you can pick and choose whether you'll have company. Some days I was nowhere near a soul. Some days I found a small town. I only spent 1 or 2 nights at any one place. I was gone for about 10 days.

The "survival" aspect is minimal, if you use common sense. The pleasure is all worth it. The isolation is refreshing. The time to just think about things without any distractions is like no other. It brought me a lot closer to a lot of things I now hold dear but had been taking for granted.

You've gotten a lot of good advice about equipment.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:35 AM

I posted something like this the other day. I feel like going into isolation ot just escaping from everything periodically. I really want to do it sometimes. I have no advice, but I don't think it's specific to you. If I were single, taking off to a remote camping-type location liek you're planning sounds aweosme. I don't think it's dangerous if you know a little about camping. I envy you.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:38 AM

If you're trying to go camping and are going to have to start from scratch buying gear, good luck.

Make sure you get a good tent rated for 2-3 people. Practice setting it up and tearing it down several times before you take your trip. Practice doing it in the dark.

Buy a sleeping bag that will keep you warm. I like mummy bags but some aren't comfortable sleeping in them. I also like synthetic fill over down fill, as synthetic will still keep you warm even if its wet. Get a good ground pad also.

Get a nice stove suitable for what you're planning on doing. Also get cookware and buy a camping cookbook (I hate freeze-dried prepackaged meals).

Make sure you have quality clothing suitable for the conditions you are expecting to encounter.

Since you're bringing your dog be sure you have all of his shots necessary, and is currently on frontline or other pest control. Is your dog extremely reliable in an off lead situation? You still might want to keep him on lead your first few days as I'm sure he probably has less camping experience than you.

For the best camping experience make sure you have the top and bottom 10% of what you think you'll need. You need the bottom 10% to survive. The top 10% is what can keep a situation enjoyable.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah I agree 3 weeks is too long. If I was alone for 3 days I'd go out of my mind. I think you need a lot of warm dry clothes, books, paper, and a friend. Only go for a few days.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can always comeback if I get in serious trouble. Plus don't forget I'll have my dog so I wont be entirely alone.