Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 11:12 AM

Default good or bad AK trips fold?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

CO ($97.80)
Button ($89.80)
SB ($53.30)
BB ($54.05)
Hero ($137.45)
UTG+1 ($15.75)
MP1 ($56.55)
MP2 ($26.45)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, BB calls $1.50.

Flop: ($4.25) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, BB calls $4.

Turn: ($12.25) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $15</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $27.25

He checked and called on flop fast and bet out on turn fast.
I thought that he flopped a set and slowplayed it on flop and when turn was another ace i thought that he overbet cause he thought I had AK and that I wasnt gonna let it go, or draw to a boat.

Is this a good or bad fold?
Old 09-09-2005, 11:25 AM

Default Re: good or bad AK trips fold?

Without a hell of a read on the villian, I am willing to play for his whole stack. You had him covered by a ton. His quick call could have just as easily come with any naked ace. I wouldn't expect a set, because he would have raised to protect against the heart draw and straight draw on the board. I would have moved in. If he had played A-8, A-9, 9-9 , or 8-8 I would just have to give him his money and move on to the next hand. Why did you play AK in the first place? This is about the best board you could ask for.

I think the fold was a little weak.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:34 AM

Bad fold. What don't you beat here other than a set. Is he not reraising the flop with a set or 2 pair on a draw heavy board? If he really puts you on AK and he is a smart player he is c/r all in on the turn to ensure all the money is going in. It seems more likely he had a weaker Ace than you or maybe is trying to see a draw for cheap. I don't like your play. I'm pushing the turn.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:40 AM

i'd push here, he's shortstacked and likely to make this move with a weaker ace.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:55 AM

how is 100bb+ short stacked?
anyway I think its a horrible fold without a nit read on the guy.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:06 PM

Bad fold. I'm puttin villain all-in here. With a set i think its more likely that he checks the turn, feeling his fullhouse is "unbeatable". There isn't enough evidence of a set to make me lay this down.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how is 100bb+ short stacked?
anyway I think its a horrible fold without a nit read on the guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops...i guess I meant he's short stacked compared to what's in the pot right now and hero's stack. I assumed 100NL when I saw hero's stack.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:13 PM

push, its not even close, u cost yourself the pot and his stack.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:23 PM

i hate it, here he's representing three aces, and you have them!

this is the flop you want and one where you should have a hard time getting away from this hand. you've got redraws to a boat or are likely facing his two pair.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:57 PM

I dont like to risk that much money. Seems like when I do call bets like these I allways loose, and this about reads, well, I dont know if u can call it a read or not but I felt he really had it... (if u think of previous rounds and how quickly he acted).

After a discussion with him it turned out that he had pocket nines... He first told me he had AK, but then after some talking he said he had the nines, and that he thought that I had AK and that he didnt want me to catch the king, and if I call and not catch it I would be commited to the pot so he could easy go allin and I would call...
But who knows...

Sometimes u see strange betting patterns and actually people bet strange cause they wanna fool the other guy sometimes, I do too, u cant allways play by the book, u have to mixup and play diffrent against diffrent type of players...

For me it seems that I play much better and actually WIN money when I take it more carefully.
When I throw in money like u think I should have done it just goes bad, and if its cause I get angry of loosing or if its cause I call to many hands with 2nd best hand i dont know...

When I go in with a tight and careful attitude I play much better...

I mean u dont have to make risky plays at $50 NL, u just have to wait for the right moment and then take all the other guys money...

It might be weak but ill rather do that and win money than playing agressive and win some and loose some... cause it allways turns out red in my stats...