Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 09:58 AM

Default Online Poker: Your Guide to Playing Online Poker... by Doyle Brunson

Hadnt even heard of this book until i saw it whilst browsing through amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...349365-7575046

Has anyone read it? If so what are your thoughts? I've got a feeling that its just going to be one big 200 page long DoylesRoom advertisement, but who knows!?!

Sorry if this has been asked before. I used the search feature but couldnt find any threads on the subject.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Online Poker: Your Guide to Playing Online Poker... by Doyle Bruns

[ QUOTE ]
I've got a feeling that its just going to be one big 200 page long DoylesRoom advertisement

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't and won't read it, but that's my guess too.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:06 PM

Default Re: Online Poker: Your Guide to Playing Online Poker... by Doyle Brunson

If you have SSII, then the online chapter in that book, lame as it is, serves as the basis for this new book.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Online Poker: Your Guide to Playing Online Poker... by Doyle Brunson

All it is, is a book on how to sign up to Doyle's Room. I have not read it, but that's what everyone is saying that has read it.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:54 PM

I have read it and it sucks. If Doyle attaches his name to another book this bad, his reputation will go down the tubes. Even though other sites are mentioned, Doyleroom is the main one.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:39 AM

In SS2 he says that in the future people will play on webcams so ou can pick up tells.
Thats is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:43 AM

reading SSII really screwed me up for a while trying to use his lucky arse technques(i cant spell!) got me in a tad of trouble.

SSII stunted my growth!

galahad
Old 09-06-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In SS2 he says that in the future people will play on webcams so ou can pick up tells.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that requiring all the players to be live on a Webcam could go a long way toward quelling all the fears about robot's and people playing multiple ID's in the same tourney. I think it's plausable, though unlikely, that a site could carve a niche for itself by going this route.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that requiring all the players to be live on a Webcam could go a long way toward quelling all the fears about robot's and people playing multiple ID's in the same tourney. I think it's plausable, though unlikely, that a site could carve a niche for itself by going this route.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that live is more fun than online, and by putting mandatory webcams in everybody's house you eliminate a major advantage of online play...no nead to dress, groom, shower, etc...play in your bathrobe or nothing at all on Saturday morning if you like and no one's the wiser.

Er...not that I've ever done this. I don't play or post without being impeccably groomed and immaculately attired.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:36 PM

first off - for me live is NOT more fun than playing online.
The hands come slow, it's kinda loud, i can't watch the game on TV at the same time...and when I play live there is a very high likelihood that I will have very little leg-room (even though I'm only 5'6") and/or be stuck next to some guy who is sweaty and/or smelly.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone had told you 10-15 years ago that in 2004-2005 there would thousands and thousands of people all over the world playing poker on their computer for REAL money that they entrust to some offshore company you would have said THAT was the dumbest thing you ever heard.

You would have said the same thing just 3-4 years ago if someone told you that some guy who paid $39 online would win the WSOP, become a house-hold name from the non-stop replays of it shown on ESPN, and that this event would spark a poker popularity-boom never seen before that would include teenage boys cheering for their favorite players and seeking their autographs like they were baseball stars.

If I then told you that this poker-boom would be so huge that 2005 would see almost 6k players in the WSOP main-event all getting in for $10k apiece (whether through satellite or direct buy-in) you would have said that that would not even be possible.

My point??
The web-cam thing sounds pretty far-fetched to me too.
But working one's way backwards through history one can see that far-fetched impossibilities that nobody could have ever DREAMED of tend to happen ALL the time.