Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2005, 05:32 PM

Default Flopped set in raised pot...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

BB ($120.45)
<font color="#C00000">UTG ($142.55)</font>
MP ($90.3)
Button ($127.5)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($99)</font>

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $5</font>, Button calls $5, Hero (poster) calls $4.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls $3.

Flop: ($21) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $15</font>, Button folds, Hero calls $15, UTG calls $15.

Turn: ($66) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $40</font>, Hero pushes UTG calls $79, MP folds.

River: ($185) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $185

Results to come...
Old 03-30-2005, 05:41 PM

Default Re: Flopped set in raised pot...

Just want some thoughts on other lines that could have been taken. Obviously I know I'm way ahead on the flop, but I'm trying to guage the strength of my opponents hand so as to figure out the best way to get the money in. The reraise preflop means Big Pair or AK. After the flop bet, I'm putting MP on the OverPair (JJ-AA), and I don't know what UTG has that he would just call w/. My thinking is that if he had a OverPair as well, he'd of reraised it again to see where he stands. But his smooth call makes me think he is drawing to the str8, or maybe JT,QT,KT,AT.

Now, when the turn brings a K, and MP bets out $40, I'm thinking either KK or AA. But if I were him and had just spiked a set of Ks, I'd be more likely to half pot it. So I pushed. I welcomed UTG's call as I had him on AK. But when MP folded, I was worried thinking maybe MP had AK and UTG's quick call was KK.

Who would have played this differently... how? and why?
Old 03-30-2005, 05:57 PM

Why not raise the flop?
Old 03-30-2005, 06:02 PM

Would he followup with AK? If not, then raise the flop.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not raise the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why blow someone off their hand drawing to 2 outs for a better hand or 6 outs for a second best hand?

There aren't any real draws out there considering the preflop raises, right?

KoW
Old 03-30-2005, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But if I were him and had just spiked a set of Ks, I'd be more likely to half pot it. So I pushed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont like this reasoning. You have to think about what your opponent would do in this situation, not what you would do if placed in his shoes.

I would have personally bet out on the flop, hoping to get raised by an overpair so i can reraise for all my stack. Straight out of super system. If i just got flat called, my stack would be going in on the turn.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But if I were him and had just spiked a set of Ks, I'd be more likely to half pot it. So I pushed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont like this reasoning. You have to think about what your opponent would do in this situation, not what you would do if placed in his shoes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree w/ this. Maybe I should clarify. I pushed figuring the odds of him have KK or TT for a higher set is small enough that this push is an +EV play. besides he only had $30 more behind him. My push is going to get insta-calls from AK or AA.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree w/ this. Maybe I should clarify. I pushed figuring the odds of him have KK or TT for a higher set is small enough that this push is an +EV play. besides he only had $30 more behind him. My push is going to get insta-calls from AK or AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, totally. Like I said, I too would be getting all my stack into the middle with this hand.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:58 PM

i think i min raise the flop and hope he pushes with an overpair.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:32 PM

I think raising the flop is correct but do not push. I was int he same situation last night

I had 7/7 the flop was a rainbow flop consisting of
q/7/3

With no draws I fired into 4 people about half the pot, These were my friends so I found out the results after anyways. But One guy folded his q/10, another guy with a/q then reraised me, and I the others folded, I glimpsed at my cards again and I decided to push. He then folded and I still won a very big pot, but I think I wasted this hand for alot of positive EV if I had waited until the turn or possibly the river.

I do however like to bet the flop with these hands. But I think the best time would be the turn to make the push.