Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2005, 01:42 PM

Default Final Table hand from last night...

17.5k on prima.

I'm pretty sure that I played the hand correctly, but I'm more of a cash game player than a tournament player so would like confirmation.

7 players remain.

Im third in chips with around 550,000, folded around to the SB (2nd place with around 570,000) who raises to 60,000(10,000/20,000 blinds). I've been at the table with the SB for a fairly long time and he's a very aggressive player. I call with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

The flop:

4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T

SB bets 100,000 into 120,000 pot.

I push all in for just under 400,000 more.

Is this a standard play? A friend of mine commented that I should avoid playing pots with bigger stacks than mine, but he plays alot more passive than me. I am only concerned about finishing in the top 3, preferably winning the tournament.

Around 2/3 of the time, villain wont have a hand to call the allin, and when he does, i'll be around 60% favourite(assuming that he doesnt have a higher straight or flush draw) so i think the move is definately +EV.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Final Table hand from last night...

You played it perfectly fine. Whether or not you want to call the initial raise is up to you, but postflop is fine.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:55 PM

This guy has more chips than you and is agressive. You are calling pre-flop with a drawing hand. You know he is agressive, so he will most likely bet with anything. You will need to hit a good flop to take the pot from him. So it's not an easy call, but I think it is a good call preflop.

Has he raised from the SB with a lot of hands when folded to him?

The flop is very good to you. You are likely ahead, there's no way I am laying it down. Now the question is call or fold.

If he is really agressive, he will bet the turn if you call, if he bets into a 320,000 pot, it will likely be 180,000 or more so you will be commited if you call, so you have to make your decision now, you ca't put 160,000 and then lay it down.

You do have a lot of FE so I would definitely re-raise all-in like you did.

You did the right play.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:00 PM

Unlike my friend who reckons that I should have stayed out of the hand because of the fact that he has me covered, i looked at it as an advantage. I saw it as a chance to double up and take a strong chip lead if I hit the flop hard, probably because of my cashgame background.

And yes, villain has been raising all over the place, especially when folded to him in LP.

Thanks for the replies so far.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:05 PM

I also havent mentioned that I was in the BB....not sure if it was obvious from the post.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:56 PM

Well played. I think the PF call is good provided you are willing play aggressively. In other words, you need to play back with a lot less than the hand you have here. I think you have to be willing to play aggressively with just a flush or open-ended draw, and often when you've got a pair as well. You make it sound like he could be raising any two here, so there's a very good chance he'll have to fold to a push. If you aren't willing to put your stack in jeopardy with less than 15 outs, you should just fold pre-flop. But know that you are eventually going to have to play back at this guy with a marginal hand.