Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 11:35 AM

Default Leak #3 Raising from the blinds

I feel that I lose a lot of equity coming out of the blinds with my failure to raise certain hands. I play 3/6 and 4/8 Live and frequently will see 5-6 Laps and Lags in before the action gets to me in the SB or BB. i.e.

1) Hero is in BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5 limp in front, Hero???????

2) Hero is in SB with K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4 limp in front, Hero??????

3) Hero is in BB with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and 5 limp in front. Hero?????

4) Hero is in SB with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and 4 limp in front. Hero?????

I am more aggressive on the button of course but I have not raised any of the above hands out of the blinds. I feel like I am losing EV.

Any guidlines?
Old 12-02-2005, 11:37 AM

Default Re: Leak #3 Raising from the blinds

check, raise, check/raise (meh, either way), raise.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1) Hero is in BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5 limp in front, Hero???????

[/ QUOTE ]

Call. Big unsuited cards don't as well in multiway pots. Your equity is not as big as you think here.

[ QUOTE ]

2) Hero is in SB with K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4 limp in front, Hero??????

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise more than you call.

[ QUOTE ]

3) Hero is in BB with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and 5 limp in front. Hero?????

[/ QUOTE ]
Check/raise, both are acceptable.

[ QUOTE ]

4) Hero is in SB with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and 4 limp in front. Hero?????

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Check, you probably have an edge, but it's fairly small, especially OOP, and you can make up for it by keeping the pot smaller postflop (SSHE has an example where the NPA specifically mentions that you might want to check AJo here).
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I raise quite a bit here, the looser the opposition is the better. I'd be less inclined to raise if there were a tight passive limper or two as there's at least a decent chance of domination, but I don't think it matters much. If you do raise here, make sure you have the discipline not to autobet some missed flops into 5 opponents just b/c you raised preflop. Some people can't help that.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This one is interesting. We have an edge in equity, but raising bloats the pot and permits overcards to call profitably, which really reduces our chances of winning. OTOH, we're also getting reasonably close value in terms of flopping a set. If the table is passive I raise here, sometime the flop gets checked around when we miss (not often), if aggressive I raise b/c I can hopefully induce other players to play more aggressively to win a bigger pot, so that when I do flop a set I'll make more, but I don't know that that is correct.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Again, few tight/passive limpers, or passive in general, easier raise, as you are dominated less often. I raise this most of the time.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:56 PM

Damaniac wrote
[ QUOTE ]

I raise quite a bit here, the looser the opposition is the better. I'd be less inclined to raise if there were a tight passive limper or two as there's at least a decent chance of domination, but I don't think it matters much. If you do raise here, make sure you have the discipline not to autobet some missed flops into 5 opponents just b/c you raised preflop. Some people can't help that.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's like you've known me all my life! I tend to continuation bet EVERYTHING. See Leak #1 [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

LLL
Old 12-02-2005, 01:13 PM

Everyone seems to like raising the A9s OOP. Is this really a profitable raise? I guess it depends a bit on whether these limpers would be limping with better Aces and/or worse aces. Now if I were on the button in the same spot, I would raise in a second because playing a big draw is much easier late but from the blinds you may really get charged for your draw. I suppose the same players who might limp with hands better then A9 would also not be too aggressive later in the hand and that does add some value to my draw because it decreases the reverse implied odds.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:13 PM

These are always hard because you're in great position preflop, but then that goes out the window on all later streets.