Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2005, 02:48 AM

Default Re: But I have the button! I have to bet the flop!

I do wonder what your point to this hand was Ribbo. I have seen ppl give you [censored] over things, for obvious reasons, but I actually like your dry sarcasm. Regardless, you did misplay this hand completely. Preflop it's moderately strong cus you're double suited, but your low sucks and high hand is confined to the flushes. Yes, Aces do hold up heads-up, but not often multi-way. On the flop you have CR*P! Aces only, with a possible backdoor flush. You're dead to any set, open-end or wrap, and almost every two pair. Why call a flop bet? To prove you have balls and not brains? It was a bad one, honestly. I do hope to get a very facetious response from you. I'll feel bad if I'm the only one who doesn't. Your Admirer
Old 11-13-2005, 12:28 PM

I want to apologize to the forum and especially Ribbo with regards to a couple of the posts I deleted in this thread.

I construed some of the statements contained in the posts as advertising a commercial service. I've reflected on them a bit and my perspective on the discussion was somewhat narrow. Regardless, I just want to reiterate for any posters who are operating poker web sites or forums in which they have a financial interest, please refrain from advertising your site or services either overtly or implicitly. I appreciate it.

In addition, it would be great if everyone could refrain sidestepping the profanity filter and try to keep it civil. Also, these forum should be primarily for strategy discussion though each forum is going to have its own off-topic/low-content posts. If you are going to make a post that doesn't aspire to provoke a serious strategy discussion, it would be preferable to include a (NC) or (LC) in the subject line. That's just my personal preference.

It's not my intent to stifle discussion here and I apologize for any perceived or actual over-moderating.

beset
Old 11-13-2005, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Regardless, you did misplay this hand completely. Yes, Aces do hold up heads-up, but not often multi-way. On the flop you have CR*P! Aces only, with a possible backdoor flush. You're dead to any set, open-end or wrap, and almost every two pair. Why call a flop bet? To prove you have balls and not brains? It was a bad one, honestly. I do hope to get a very facetious response from you.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong, but that's perfectly acceptable because the games you play in are different to mine.
I play PLO8 with people who do bluff, so do you, it's just that you have never ever called these people when they bet, so they get away with pushing you off the best hand time and time again.

I have absolutely no idea why you think a guy with 2 pair is dominating me (often they will be no better than 50/50 on the flop). Certainly they wont be better than 57/43 which gives more than correct pot odds to call. Considering I hold AA, the turn card helps me more if I can get heads up as it lowers the opponents chance of having me beaten for both high and low draw. The chance of anyone calling my pot bet preflop with JJ or TT is quite slim, add into this equation that it's the guy on the button betting (button players are notorious for betting any crap), add into this the chance of opponents folding when they should be calling the turn (because they really don't *have* to have me beat just because they make 1 bet. Plenty of people bet all manner of draws on the flop with position, and since they all missed the turn and the added low draw helps my hand, it looks a good place to shove and put pressure on them to fold.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I do wonder what your point to this hand was Ribbo. I have seen ppl give you [censored] over things, for obvious reasons, but I actually like your dry sarcasm. Regardless, you did misplay this hand completely. Preflop it's moderately strong cus you're double suited, but your low sucks and high hand is confined to the flushes. Yes, Aces do hold up heads-up, but not often multi-way. On the flop you have CR*P! Aces only, with a possible backdoor flush. You're dead to any set, open-end or wrap, and almost every two pair. Why call a flop bet? To prove you have balls and not brains? It was a bad one, honestly. I do hope to get a very facetious response from you. I'll feel bad if I'm the only one who doesn't. Your Admirer

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your advice in general is a bit weak tight. I was once very much like you are, and I am still pretty tight. However, I think you are giving WAY too conservative advice in general and you should perhaps look at some common situations in twodimes or some other odds calculator, so that you can better understand how equity is often split up in different situations. The main gripe I have with your advice is that it is not only too conservative (often incorrectly so IMHO), but that you give it with such an air of authority. I bet many solid players wouldn't mind the way Ribbo plays this hand one bit, but you state with absolute authority that he misplayed it. Not that you don't like his play for various reasons, but that his play is in fact incorrect.