Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 04:46 PM

Default Re: Confidence Boosting -- 10/20 Hand #3

[ QUOTE ]

Turn 3h. I bet he raises I call.

Turn 7d. I check he bets I raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it's tough to generate reads when 8-tabling, eh? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Preflop fine, flop fine, turn and river are pretty opponent-dependent, but without additional knowledge I think it's perfect. The turn donk is obviously best if you put your opponent on A-high/figure he'll check behind on the turn looking for a cheap showdown. The only thing I can see maybe doing differently is donking the river as well . . . if he raised the turn with a pocket or really weak king (or a frustrated ace) he might check behind on the river and you just cost yourself.

Time to read what the others said . . .
Old 11-02-2005, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
this is a line i never take.

[/ QUOTE ]

probably because it gets you less money against most donks

[/ QUOTE ]

The advantage of this line is that most 10/20 donks have no idea how to interpet turn donkbets. They pretty much invariably put you on a picked up draw and raise their A high or wahtever for a free SD. Its also a good way to make sure you get at least 2 bets out of them on the expensive streets if they have a PP below the top card on the board, since tehy will often check through the turn or river in that scenario.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly my thinking, which is why a river donk should be considered.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:50 PM

The bet on the turn seems sure to get you raised. (It looks like a transparent donk when the rag board pairs, after your flop check-call). If you want to be raised, you should three-bet. Since you didn't, I'm assuming you didn't like the raise. In which case I think you should check raise the turn. No real worry about freecards.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The bet on the turn seems sure to get you raised. (It looks like a transparent donk when the rag board pairs, after your flop check-call). If you want to be raised, you should three-bet. Since you didn't, I'm assuming you didn't like the raise. In which case I think you should check raise the turn. No real worry about freecards.

[/ QUOTE ]

We're not worried about free cards from an equity standpoint (villain probably has very few outs if behind)...we're more worried about giving up the greater part of 1BB because villain will call with so many worse hands, and sometimes raise too.

Surf
Old 11-02-2005, 08:47 PM

I just don't get the flop/turn combo. Against a player that will continuation bet regardless of what he has then a turn c/r is clearly superior. If you're worried that he won't bet the turn then c/r the flop (or bet/3-bet) and lead the turn.

Seems pretty straightforward. What am I missing?
Old 11-02-2005, 09:25 PM

IIRC you don't have to worry about people folding A-high at 10/20, so I'd just CR the flop and go.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:37 PM

I misunderstood this statement:

"Against an opponent that I know is more capable of folding I am more likely to take your line."

To mean that you would want villain to fold Ace high and such to your bet.

It took a friend of mine like 10 minutes to explain that you meant Schneids' line looks fishy and if villain is capable of easily laying down a worse hand you want to keep him in using that (fishy looking) line as opposed to c/ring the flop or turn.

My bad.