Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2005, 01:08 AM

Default Re: Interesting Hand from WPT Aruba

Other people are allowed to play good too. I wouldn't be shocked if the guy who originally raised to 2000 called your reraise also, assuming the guy with AJo folded.

I don't know why everyone is acting like this is obviously a +EV one and its just bad fortune that we raised some donkey who can't lay down AJo. I'd like to hear some examples from people where a play like this has worked. I mean jesus christ the guy called with AJo!! Obviously your read was way way off when you have a player who is going to call this loosely. Who knows what other hands he might have called.

Also I would bet that MP3 was going to call more than half the time. Of course I wasn't at the table so I don't know this for sure, but the pot is laying a huge price and a lot of suspicious things went down. He can't think that he's the only one at the table that noticed this chip fumble by the blind, and this could easily convince him to call with something that would normally be an easy fold.

I just think this whole play is way too dangerous.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:17 AM

Well put curtains. I was thinking the same thing, but was scared to say it.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:44 AM

It's funny that if SB had just announced "call" rather than silently tossing his chips in (accidentally raising in the process because of carelessness), ZJ's tournament is totally different.

Moral of the story: announce "call" or "raise" when you put chips in the pot. Talk about a costly misclick...
Old 10-01-2005, 01:26 PM

Another line might have been to simply double MP3's 2000 raise. That would have been enough to fold out SB and MP1 if they were gonna fold out.

If they both fold, then MP3 certainly has odds to call, but his action at that point will provide strong information about whether he was just seizing the opportunity or really had some kind of hand to play with. You are saying, I have a good hand; maybe not great, but one I would be happy to play against you heads up in position....

If he comes over the top for all his chips, you still have a 5k stack and plenty of time to recover. If he just calls, you likely outplay him on the flop. Best case (though unlikely) he folds.

Since MP1 did call, you then likely end up with two opponents, position and a hand that plays well multi handed. After the flop, you can decide where you are and what comes next.
I guess my biggest issue with the hand was the escalating pot size and the number of opponents stumbling along adding to it. Remove one opponent with absolute certainty and the play begins to feel better. But having to make a read against 3 different types of players in an unusual situation just puts too much uncertainty to make me risk going broke this early in the tourney when you feel you have the best of it at the table.

Fm
Old 10-02-2005, 03:42 AM

hmmm, not a bad play at all. too bad you got kicked in the nuts, lol. better luck next time.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:29 AM

Default Re: RESULTS

Without reading many of the replies besides your results, I like the behind the play. But, I am am not too shocked you were called w/ AJo - if there is one thing I have learned, you can NEVER assume you won't get called by a marginal hand. I can't even begin to count the number of times I've made a great read, made the appropriate play, and walked away shaking my head thinking "HOW could he make that call?" People (read: non 2+2ers) virtually never understand this, they'll say "he made a great read" but no, he made a bad call. But they are common.

That being said, as much as I like the thinking behind the push, the read, and the play itself, I probably would have folded to the accidental raise.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another line might have been to simply double MP3's 2000 raise. That would have been enough to fold out SB and MP1 if they were gonna fold out.

If he comes over the top for all his chips, you still have a 5k stack and plenty of time to recover. If he just calls, you likely outplay him on the flop. Best case (though unlikely) he folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh donkey