Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 08-11-2005, 04:37 AM

Default LAG play...

I've been playing poker somewhat seriously for about 2 years, only kicking it into high gear and getting really serious over the last 6 months. My bankroll is over 10k now, and I only play $100 and sometimes $200 nl.

I've read Super System, pretty much anything by Sklansky, Herrington, and constantly read forums like these (I'm new on here btw) trying to improve my game.

It seems that the general school of thought is that TAG is the best way to play. I try to switch gears on the fly and go with the flow of the table, but I seem to have the most success playing LAG shorthanded. I'll usually see a flop with anything on the button if it's cheap, I'll play suited connectors from almost any position if theres not alot of preflop raising going on, I'll play small pairs from any position, will steal blinds from passive opponents with almost any 2 cards, and I raise and reraise all the time. I also know when I'm beat and how to get out of a pot without committing myself.

I win a bunch of small pots, get action on my big hands, and never get bored playing, so it works out pretty well for me.

My take on the suited connectors and small cards is that in the long run my implied odds from getting paid on my big hands makes up for the money I'll put in preflop.

Also, I think of my buy in as one single bet. I'm never afraid to move in, especially up against a tight table. I don't think I've ever sat down in a cash game without moving in at least 3-4 times, usually more than that.

On paper this probably looks like terrible play, but it consistantly pays off for me. I'd have alot more than 10k for poker right now if I didn't like spending money so much.

I'm just wondering if anyone else plays in a similar style, and I'm really interested to hear from critics of this type of play. Thanks.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:02 AM

Default Re: LAG play...

I only have 3 months or so experience and so far largely play a basic TAG game but from what I've seen the LAG style seems to be pretty effective. I read Super System a couple weeks back and am currently in the process of adding a second laggy gear to my game, so far i'm shocked at how often a lot of people crumble to a little pressure,the other point I'm noticing is that this style is simply more fun than the conservative style.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:35 PM

I love playing a LAG style in situations where it can be pulled off. At my usual prima 200NL tables, tightness of the table fluctuates pretty wildly depending on what time of the day I play...and using a LAG style on an already loose table isn't an optimum strategy. I also tend to play LAG if i'm sitting on a big stack (175BB+) and I find that this is also effective.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:36 PM

Its all about switching gears, I play pretty TAG myself, but knowing when to change to LAG (short-handed, table image, etc) is critical. I find that my profits substantiate this (however, I am on a pretty dry spell right now - see my other post in Limit Hold em) in the long run.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:31 PM

Your LAG play may be terrible, or it may be stellar, but it's certainly true that LAG play can be highly effective in NLHE. Most top players switch gears, raise many pots, and generally do "unreasonable" things. This works a lot better as opponents become more sophisticated hand readers, etc.

Still, the postflop decisions are more difficult, though if you play well there are more profitable opportunities. But don't assume you automatically play well - this is a trap that can break you.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:12 PM

Would I be correct in assuming that LAG is really only effective in NL? That if you are playing limit, then it is best to play TAG - and perhaps not even that aggressive TAG?

I just started reading HOH1 and Harrington makes it clear that LAG play can work, but that it requires a high level of skill to make it work in the long term.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...I try to switch gears on the fly and go with the flow of the table,...

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this is very important. Being able to adjust to changing situations is key. Sometimes it's more profitable to be TAG. Other times, it's better to be LAG. Even weak-tight play has its merits at times. Knowing how/when to shift gears will keep your opponents guessing. That means +EV.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:25 PM

Being LAG all the time is probably not what you are wanting to do. But raising with crap, then showing it, is a pretty good way to get a crazy image....you know, get them thinking, "he raised 5 2 offsuit UTG". Then when you do it with AA they never see it coming. Shifting gears though is probably best because otherwise, your own LAG play can burn you post flop unless you are really really good.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:18 PM

Harrington goes into this in detail in HoH 1. Basically, the biggest reason the books stress TAG play is that it's easier to play well than LAG play because you put yourself in fewer difficult situations.

HPFAP mentions in the intro the benefits of loose play, but basically says "We won't discuss the specifics of this approach because you're going to lose a bunch of money if you don't play extremely well." It also discusses why raising any two in shorthanded situations (whether a short game, or a hand in which everyone folds to LP) can be profitable if the blinds don't know what they're doing.

Generally, the more skilled you are postflop and the better you are at reading your opponents, the more hands you can play. There are some live games I play in where I will complete the SB with any two simply because if my 92o hits a flop of K95 I almost always can tell if it's good or not, even out of position. Similar comments apply to open-raising (or even isolation-raising) with substandard hands, especially in PL/NL games and especially in tournaments where you are risking large portions of your stack.

So yeah, there's plenty of evidence to support the playing style you say you have and I think most players come close to it if they are in the right kind of game (read: one with very weak opponents).
Old 08-12-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I try to switch gears on the fly and go with the flow of the table, but I seem to have the most success playing LAG shorthanded.

[/ QUOTE ]

TAG in early position, LAG in late position and short handed while changing gears. Sounds like you have it nailed.