Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2005, 02:06 AM

Default Re: My First Hand Posting in the STT Forum!!1!

[ QUOTE ]
How often do you think the villian has to fold to make a push here profitable?

How often do you think the villian will fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's funny... just the other day I decided I would make a concerted effort to be a better poster after reading this post. It's one thing to give half ass answers like I usually do, but it's quite different to give an answer like Stellarwind (and some others) do almost every time. I should have delved into some of this stuff with the first post. Thanks to you and Scuba for keeping me on task with this, even if you didn't know it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I see Greke already beat me to this, I'll take a look at his work and come up with more thoughts in the morning.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:25 AM

Default Re: My First Hand Posting in the STT Forum!!1!

[ QUOTE ]
The games is Party 22. Villain has been somewhat tight, but has been min-raising to steal the blinds a moderate amount.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (4 handed) converter

UTG (t520)
Button (t2917)
Hero (t1825)
BB (t2738)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t600</font>, Hero ???

[/ QUOTE ]

i find that when someone is a frequent minraiser, pushes tend to be very effective in this situation.

edit: i can also gaurantee it will be the last time he minraises your blind also
Old 05-29-2005, 02:55 AM

Default Re: Math is stupid

[ QUOTE ]
If you push, you need a FE of 25% to make this play better than folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can one of you guys elaborate on how you came up with 25% here?
Old 05-29-2005, 03:52 AM

Default Re: Math is stupid

[ QUOTE ]
If you push, you need a FE of 25% to make this play better than folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it appears you're assuming hero is a 60/40 favorite over the range of hands he's raising/calling with here (which seems reasonable).

I want to argue that you have a bit more than 25% FE against a min raiser, but I don't have anything too pursuasive to say on that front. Just a feeling. After looking at these numbers, none of these options looks too appealing. Bleh...

The point made by another poster about his range of pushing hands v. his range of calling hands is important, although hard to really quantify. But note that if he's min raising a lot of hands and only calling with the stronger hands that benefits us on two fronts because it means we have more FE and it means we're a more significant favorite to win once called.