Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2005, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Interesting Hand

You see, this is why I hate limit. I have no idea where the hell I stand for the entire duration of the hand.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:39 PM

I play this hand exactly this way 100% of the time!!!!! Why can't I ever win a pot?[ QUOTE ]
Discuss!

(6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (17 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG folds, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

Turn: (14.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

River: (20.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 27.50 BB
<font color="#009B00">Main Pot: 27.50 BB, between Button and Hero.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Button has Qd 8d (high card, king).
Hero has 6d 3d (one pair, threes).
Outcome: Hero wins 27.50 BB. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-17-2005, 12:45 AM

OK, I'm baffled. Why is this hand interesting? It looks like spewage, or mabye it's a delicate application of bluff theory?

Assume that you need both CO and UTG to fold before showdown. There's a chance you'll improve to the best hand before the river

On the flop, one of your opponent needs to fold to your 3-bet more than one every 13 times, or 7.6% of the time.

On the river, you need the other opponent to fold to your 3-bet more than one every 14.25 times, or 7% of the time.

The probablilites of BOTH of these happening are less than half a percent. You aren't getting those odds anywhere in this hand.

You are even money against a single random hand on the river with your holding. Against three random hands you are a 9-1 underdog to have the best hand.

You won't fold people out enough to make this bluff profitable, despite the size of the pot.

Combined with your draws, the semi-bluffs on the flop and turn might make your play slightly +EV, but I'm not convinced.

River play is fine, you might as well get some advertising value for it.

I'm still interested in a couple of things in this hand. How often did you expect CO and UTG to fold to a bluff, and what limit were you playing?
Old 04-17-2005, 01:05 AM

These were my thoughts almost exactly.

I would also mention that capping with 63s (which is a dog to a random hand) can probably never be compensated with enough implied odds to make this play worth while in a 4 way pot. I think the point of this post is don't be results oriented. Just because he won a big pot with 63s doesn't mean you should play it. I think the river reraise is extremely suspect because CO (who I assume has the best hand) already showed a willingness to call 2 more on the flop and bet the river himself. It certainly can't be how to use a maniac to your advantage, because the poster has a hand that is probably worse than the maniacs and he will be forced to show it down.

I would be really interested to know what the poster had in mind with this hand and why he thinks it is interesting. From his other posts he seems to be a solid player.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:33 AM

:sigh:

Again, this hand was posted only for pure entertainment value.
I apologize if it wasn't fun for some of you.

I thought the only hand history I have ever posted on 2+2 should be 'different'.

Don't try this at home, if you value money.
Old 04-17-2005, 03:51 PM

I thought this had to be the reason behind this post. It certainly was interesting to see someone willing to cap on the end with Q-high.

The main reason I responded is because this is the beginner's forum and a beginner that has gotten most of their playing style by watching Tilt might actually think that they are missing some part of expert play in this hand. I just wanted to make sure it was clear that expert players aren't regularly playing 63s this way. Although I have nothing against gambling it up for fun from time to time.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:46 AM

At least I got it. NH
Old 04-18-2005, 10:52 AM

This only works if you yell out GAMBOOOOL! while betting/raising.