Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2005, 10:30 PM

Default Re: Rule of Thumb, when will the tourney end...

Couple more facts...
I ran a Pivot Table on the data located in the link above. It appears that:
Turbo Tourneys have a higher % ~5% while other tourneys have about 2-3%.
Higher buy in tourneys around 50-100 have % < 1.5%

I will repost the file with the Pivot Table in it. It is a little cryptic in the codes but I will try to explain in the file
Old 04-10-2005, 02:49 AM

Default Re: Rule of Thumb, when will the tourney end...

[ QUOTE ]
I;'ve found that, in general, my tourneys end when the Bb reachs about the size of the original buy-in. THis has proven true with a 10 man tourney or a 30 man. Has this just been conincidence for me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably. I've never hosted a single-table tourney in which the BB got that big, and only a handful of the two-table ones have.

It's always tough to predict these things. Sometimes the passive players from the last tournament are all going nuts, and sometimes the maniacs from the last tournament are folding nearly every hand. Sometimes the tournament ends a good two hours before you expect it to, and sometimes you've got a good, late 45-minute heads-up match for the win.

As I mentioned, I just use the 10% rule as a boundary. Generally, it means the last few spots are decided on little more than a crap shoot, but just about everyone has had a few hours of fun, and our payout is pretty flat, so I don't get many complaints, at least not from anyone who's willing to host their own game. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Off-topic, but I noticed you changed your location from Dallas to Plano, Ten. I lived in Plano for almost 15 years. I was a kid when we moved there, and it was a sleepy town of around 23,000 souls. When I left for college, it was close to 200,000. When I tell people where I'm from, I have to qualify that I grew up on the poor side of town. Naturally, they can't believe there ever was such a thing.