Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2004, 04:21 PM

Default need some hlep with this situation...

i was wondering what some of you might've done in this situation. it was a 40$ cash game, and i was in MP. i had pocket 9s, and just called someone's raise of 5$ (blinds are .50 and 1). two people behind me called, so there's 4 to the flop. the flop comes 9s, 10c, 7s. the first guy checks, i raise another 5$. the guy behind me folds. now the next guy bets enough to put me all-in. the first guy folded. i called and he had played 8-6 os and had a straight. needless to say i got broke. i tried to analyze his hand, and thought he might've had pocket 10s, and that would be the only hand that could beat me, because i didn't think he would play 8-6 or j-8. what can i do differently here? should i have folded?
Old 11-08-2004, 06:11 PM

Default Re: need some hlep with this situation...

The answer to your question has alot to do with the players. With a relatively large preflop raise (5 times the BB) and there are three callers, I have to assume this is a relatively loose game. The question is not only what hands would beat you, but what hands might he move all-in there with. Some players would do it with the Flush draw and two over cards. Some would do it with just one or no overs. Would he do it with an over pair? How would he have played an overpair preflop. He could have A-10. Alot of questions that you may or may not have an answer to.

Regardless, the call was right. Most likely the number of hands that he would do that with that you beat (including a bluff) out number the number of hands that he would do that with that beat you. Even if you know he flopped the straight, you have 7 outs to a boat on the turn and 10 outs on the river. That makes the 17 out of the 45 left. You are getting 2-1 on calling your last $30 so it is about right anyway.

It still sucks

Matt F.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:13 AM

Default Re: need some hlep with this situation...

Yes. Its not what hands beat you its what hands he'll play and move all in with. Of those, compare those that beat you with those that don't.

I've seen folks continue raising the river with full houses figuring the chances an opponent having a bigger one is small. They are right about the chances of the opponent having a bigger full house, but they are wrong about the chances he doesn't have a bigger full house given that he keeps raising. It gets to the point that either he has a big full house or has misread his hand.

Here are a couple of actual realistic scenarios: some players would never move all in without a straight or top set, so folding against these folks is routine. Other folks would routinely slow-play their big hands so calling them (or reraising if you had more money) would be routine.

- Louie