Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 11-08-2004, 01:12 PM

Default Re: 50/50 situations in tournaments. Advice?

My point isn't that winning the tourney would give you 2-1 on your investment. Just winning the 5 coin flips (not the coin example, the tourney one) does not make you win the tourney. If you win all of them, you will only win that which the pot was laying you. So I still say that calling coinflips over and over is not worthwhile unless you are being laid large pot odds.

I would be much happier being the bettor then the caller here.

Matt F.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:55 PM

what you fail to realize is that he was the bettor here. he bet big to pick up the antes which were significant. then that didnt work, so he found he was being laid 2 to 1 to win something he was very likely to be a big money favorite at. he was in good shape at all points in this hand.

as to not doing your coin flip thing. if you are laying 2 to 1 on each flip. i would be stupid NOT to take you up on it. and would do so for any amount i can afford to bet.

if you win 5 coin flips in a tourny it is likely you will win the whole thing as you would be building your stake as well as the flips. only wouldnt do much good if you lost alot inbetween them. but if you do that you would be better off with the flips in the first place.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:25 PM

When I say I would prefer to be the bettor I mean I would much rather be betting all-in then calling all-in in this spot. Of course I agree with the initial raise. I don't even disagree with the final call. The main question of this thread was regarding a number of coinflips throughout the length of the tournament.

As far as my actual coin flip proposition, we are not betting on each toss, but on the final result (ie. surviving or not surviving in a tourney). If you ever flip a tail, I win. If you get through all five tosses without flipping a tail, you win. What odds would I have to give you?

So many bad players will call an all-in when they have nothing invested with something like 6-6. They have decided that the initial raiser is betting with a big Ace and that they are a coin flip and will take it when they are not in shortstack trouble.

An experienced player knows that these two situations are very different but inexperienced ones may see them as both "coin flips".

Just my two cents.

Matt F.