Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 07-21-2004, 05:08 AM

Default AQo in big pot

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.05.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero calls, CO (poster) calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (15 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls $0.05 (All-In), <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls, Button calls.

River: (23.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero calls, Button calls, BB calls $0.04 (All-In).

Final Pot: 30.90 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 17.50 BB, between MP1, Hero, Button, SB and BB.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: 11.60 BB, between MP1, Hero, Button and BB.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 3: 1.80 BB, between MP1, Hero and Button.</font>
Old 07-21-2004, 05:22 AM

Default Re: AQo in big pot

Preflop - You should either 3-bet or fold this. Usually if a player open-raises from MP you should 3-bet with AQ. The presence of the poster's extra money makes it a definite 3-bet for me. However if you've only seen the player raise with big pairs or AK, then you should fold. You do not want to cold-call. You want the pot to be heads-up with you in position. You do NOT want a 6 way pot with AQo out of position.

Flop - Raising is better than calling here, but folding might be your best option. You don't have any spades and the flop is likely to have hit one of the other 5 players in the pot. The BB's check-3bet is NOT GOOD. You could already be drawing dead.

Turn - You hit one of your outs! Thats the whole reason you stayed in on the flop. If you're gonna stay in then raise. Now the BB check-raises again and 3 other players are still in. This should tell you something about your hand - it's not gonna win. Fold

River -FOLD!!!! Two bets to you and you have top pair 2nd kicker on a paired board with 3 to a flush and str8 possible!!! FOLD!!!!
Old 07-21-2004, 07:49 AM

3 bet PF you want to isolate the raiser unless he is extremely tight and wouldn't raise with less than AA-JJ or AK then this is an auto 3bet
Old 07-21-2004, 08:48 AM

Preflop you want to either raise or fold. I probably would have raised to isolate.

Flop is fine with me.

I'm not sure what's correct for the turn, but I still might have called becuase MP1 is betting after being raised and reraised on the flop. Though raising would probably give you a better chance to win the pot. When it comes back check-raised, I fold here.

Easy river fold here.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:47 AM

I'm still working on how to play these big pots with a marginal hand. But I'm sure on the flop you either want to 3-bet and try to get it heads-up or fold, depending on who is raising.

With the pot as big as it is post-flop, I disagree with the consensus and think you want to just call the flop and raise the turn. Raising the flop doesn't give enough firepower to push anyone out, and it just builds the pot that much bigger, trapping you in it if you hit any piece of it and making it harder to get the draws out with a turn raise.

Even when you get your pair, it's tough to be caught in the middle of a raising war that you aren't waging. You want to see a showdown for another 2BB, but not another 6.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:58 AM

Yes on the river your hand isnt strong at all, must fold [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-Sent