Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who is hotter
Britney Spears 62 56.88%
Charisma Carpenter 47 43.12%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-14-2005, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Final Consensus on SuperSystem2

I meant it as a joke, Rudy. At school you wanted to get away with filling your X pages with as little information as possible... Well, at least I did.

Kind of like the tabloid press.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I meant it as a joke, Rudy. At school you wanted to get away with filling your X pages with as little information as possible... Well, at least I did.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was one of those boring nerds who worked hard for good grades. Guess both parts still show, as I totally missed that joke. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-14-2005, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would like to see some examples of what you guys are talking about SSH and HoH are extremely well written and interesting, SS2 was a chore to read.

[/ QUOTE ]
SSH and HoH are both very well written, I agree.

But the earlier books are filled with typos and erros in grammar and punctuation. (SSH and HoH each have a few as well, but not an inordinate number.)

If you randomly select two pages from any of the Poker Essays books, for example, you'd be better than even money to find at least one error somewhere on those two pages. (If not an outright error, at least a few poor style choices of the sort Mason found in Daniel's writing.)
Old 02-14-2005, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He's basically saying that Negreanu's section reads a lot like a 2+2 book.

[/ QUOTE ]

This might be the one funny thing you ever posted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, the blind rat finds the cheese every once in a while.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:25 PM

Hi maurile:

That's true if you are able to find one of the original editions. But all the Poker Essays book were professionally edited many years ago and those problems don't exist today. By the way, when the original editing was done, Lynne Loomis did a great job of tightening up the language, which is exactly what you want a professional editor to do.

Best wishes,
mason
Old 02-14-2005, 09:50 PM

Hi Everyone:

Let me be a little more accurate here.

Blackjack Essays, Poker Essays, and Gambling Theory and Other Topics were edited by Lynne Loomins. Poker Essays, Volume II was edited by Paula Cizmar, a professional editor from Los Angeles who also worked on the short lived Poker World magazine. Poker Essays, Volume III was edited in house with much work being done by Mat Sklansky.

The person who is doing this work for us now is Alan Schoonmaker. Books that Dr. Al has edited for us are Tournament Poker for Advanced Players, Small Stakes Hold 'em, and Harrington on Hold 'em.

best wishes,
Mason
Old 02-14-2005, 10:25 PM

Let me add a bit here. Although I edited these books, I rarely commented on their content. The authors are all immeasurably stronger players than I am. All I did was suggest ways to express their thoughts more clearly.

No writer, not even a master such as Hemingway, should work without an editor. We all fall in love with our own words, and we need someone to improve them. Everything I submit for publication gets checked by at least two of my friends, and I have repeatedly been embarrassed by mistakes they have found. However, I’d much rather be briefly embarrassed than have my mistakes appear in print.

I must also admit that there are errors in my work even after being edited. That’s the reason that I welcome the comments I receive here, by email, and in person.

I am most definitely not criticizing Dan Negreanu, Jennifer Harmon, or any other Super/System II writer. They did their job. Somebody should have edited their prose so that it reads a lot better.

Regards,

Al
Old 02-14-2005, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[A] master such as Hemingway...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hemmingway was a flake who kept trying to write well instead of actually just writing well.

Sorry for the hijack. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-15-2005, 12:55 AM

I don't think 2+2 books have an inordinate amount of typos.

And while the writing may be more serviceable than graceful, these books are read for content, not style.

Frank
Old 02-15-2005, 01:22 AM

Jennifer Harmon's and Daniel Negreanu's chapters are much better written than any 2+2 material I have seen, and I have read pretty much all the available 2+2 books.

It seems that 2+2 authors consistently fail to give credit where credit's due when it comes to other authors' work. You guys are out to push your products and thats the number one goal. I just wish you wouldn't try to feign objectivity when critiquing other people's products.