Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 04:48 PM

Default $6 JJ All in 1st level good?

Hey just wondering if this is an allright move? How many of you people would play it the same way. i think i just didnt want more than one caller on this so i pushed it. thanks for any advice.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

Hero (t790)
SB (t785)
BB (t785)
UTG (t785)
UTG+1 (t800)
UTG+2 (t785)
MP1 (t785)
MP2 (t600)
MP3 (t800)
CO (t1085)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t15, UTG+2 calls t15, MP1 calls t15, MP2 calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls t15, Hero calls [t790] , <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls t775, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds.

Final Pot: t1665
Old 12-05-2005, 04:54 PM

Default Re: $6 JJ All in 1st level good?

So you're betting 790 to win 85? Why? I really don't like this at all. I know the standard in the $6 games is low, but seriously, what's going to call you that you have in bad shape?

I am going to make this somewhere in the region of 150 to go - you achieve an identical effect, without risking all your chips. You can then get away from the hand if the flop isn't good for you.

I assume that UTG+1 called with ace high or 66 or something.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:01 PM

I hate the all in here. I like a raise to about 130-140 here. There are a lot of unfavorable flops for JJ and this allows you an exit strategy. I am betting aout half the pot on almost any flop. If the flop is unfavorable and I am called I will surrender the pot on the turn &amp; river.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:07 PM

I'll put in a minority view and say I think it's OK. Everybody limped. There's a chance someone limped in with QQ-AA and will call you, but there's a better chance you'll get called by a hand you're a favorite against.

My preferred line would be to just call and play it for set value. But I would be very much surprised if your line of play is not +EV.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:25 PM

I saw a $109er just 10 minutes ago, multitabler, do this with 88. He was called by A9. Idiot.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:36 PM

he calles with KQ and took it, i was just thinking that because everyone limped that either the blinds or UTG+1 are the only people left that could have a hand. andi was thinking why not just grab the pot right here, and if im called its probably coin toss time. but im thinking i wont get called most of the time, and maybe at this level i will get called by enough hands that i kill that it will more than make up for the times the blinds or UTG calls me with kk aa qq....
Old 12-05-2005, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll put in a minority view and say I think it's OK. Everybody limped. There's a chance someone limped in with QQ-AA and will call you, but there's a better chance you'll get called by a hand you're a favorite against.

My preferred line would be to just call and play it for set value. But I would be very much surprised if your line of play is not +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is good advice. I would take a very similar line. I wouldn't be worried about people having QQ-AA so your JJ is very likely to be the best hand. At the 6s, you'll get called by all kinds of hands that are worse than yours, which you should be happy about. That, or either you'll pick up some chips without a flop, which is also nice. The push is fine.

Edit to say: I don't think pushing is the IDEAL way to play the hand, but I have no problem with it either, especially at the 6s. As you move up, you'll want to find better ways to handle situations like this.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but seriously, what's going to call you that you have in bad shape?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the 6s. All sorts of medium pairs, AT, etc.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:51 PM

I'll also say that all the people that say something like "raise 1/6 of your stack and then fold if you don't like the flop"...

you're going to need to re-think this strategy if you want to make money playing SNGs.