Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Hand from Borgata WPT Main Event.

Pot-Size raise PF.

In the situation your in, I beat BB in the pot.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:01 PM

Theres plenty of options here, and I dont think there are many that are wrong. Heres what Id do in order ...

1. Limp- win more when ya hit, lose less when you dont. Hard to get yourself in trouble here as long as you stay disciplined.
2. Sweetner raise- get some extra cash in the pot, but your not forcing yourself to stay commited on the flop.
3. Pot-Size raise- Not bad, but now your fixed to play a big pot OOP(with AK), something I dont enjoy.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:59 PM

????? am I missing something here? that's a call in anyone's book, I think. dead $ plus excellent chance you may be a good favorite.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:04 PM

wow, the first time I honestly really like limping AK like ever. nh
Old 09-19-2005, 10:12 PM

People, he's not asking about calling the push.. he's asking about just completing in the SB.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:29 PM

I don't know anything about the big blind but there are a lot of players that make a play like this only with Kings and sometimes Aces or Queens. The BB unless he is an idiot has to consider that an early limper has a big hand and might call also. I think you should muck preflop.

Vince
Old 09-19-2005, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People, he's not asking about calling the push.. he's asking about just completing in the SB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Technically, all he asked for was our thoughts. Meaning, if my thought right now is whether Dallas is likely to cover 6 in the second half, that's responsive.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:14 PM

Let's say you limp and the flop is A76 or KT8, 2 suited. What do you do?

If you lead and get raised, do you fold?

If you check-raise, now you're playing a big pot OOP with AKo - exactly what you wanted to avoid.

One of the many problems that I have with limping is that you have no read on your opponent's hand if someone comes after you when you hit top pair.

There's 1100 or 1300 chips in the pot now (not sure if you're considering the BB as a limper to you). Raise it and take it now, or at least make your opponents define their hands a little.

There's a lot more I could say about this, but the bottom line is that all this talk about completing the SB in a multiway pot with AK is making me sick to my stomach. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Later,
Che
Old 09-20-2005, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's say you limp and the flop is A76 or KT8, 2 suited. What do you do?

If you lead and get raised, do you fold?

If you check-raise, now you're playing a big pot OOP with AKo - exactly what you wanted to avoid.

One of the many problems that I have with limping is that you have no read on your opponent's hand if someone comes after you when you hit top pair.

There's 1100 or 1300 chips in the pot now (not sure if you're considering the BB as a limper to you). Raise it and take it now, or at least make your opponents define their hands a little.

There's a lot more I could say about this, but the bottom line is that all this talk about completing the SB in a multiway pot with AK is making me sick to my stomach. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Later,
Che

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. Even though you are out of position you might involve yourself in a big pot if you hit top pair anyway. People could be limping in with A4 and hit two pair on you if you don't raise.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:23 AM

This is the input I was looking for.

Obviously the call is standard at that point once it gets back to me but I was very curious as to what I should do preflop. I don't have much experience in 10,000 buyin tournaments with extremely deep stacks. I really think a case can be made for several different plays preflop and I am really not sure which is best. Obviously, limping is the most conservative thing to do but that leads to problems later as Che said. Pushing seems reasonable, as on the table I was on there was a very very slim chance of that bet getting called and it represents a 10% increas to my stack in the pot. A large raise is okay too for the same reasons as a push, however then you have to play AK out of position on a flop once called (a large raise would probably have been called). I'm still undecided as to the best way to play the hand.