Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 02:14 AM

Default i semi-bluff raise you,,,

After some thought, i was much less sure of this than i was at the time...

partys 3/6 short, 5-handed.

someone open limps, i raise with AhKc folded to the big blind, a good player who has 2+2 like stats for the 3/6 full game, and has been playing fairly decently. He makes it 3, limper folds, i cap.

Flop 8h, 6h, 9d.

he bets, i call

Turn. Th (8h, 6h, 9d)

Good player bets out, i raise.....?

i will post my thoughts later..just interested to see what people think of this.

peace

john nickle

edited because we did actually play the flop...
Old 07-12-2005, 02:19 AM

Default Re: i semi-bluff raise you,,,

You forgot to post the flop action.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You forgot to post the flop action.

[/ QUOTE ]

taken care of...

peace

john nickle
Old 07-12-2005, 02:52 AM

A litttle drunk, so bear with me. This is all aussming Villain is decent, aka. average.

With the preflop cap, a semi-conscious player will put you automatically on AK, JJ-AA. Rasing the the turn will not fold (which is what you hope to accomplish) Villain's TT-AA, AJ, AQ, only maybe AK and KQ. So as of know, I see only AK and KQ possibly folding with a turn raise. Not good.

But, wait! What if Villain has a low or mid PP 99-22? Well, 99-77 isn't folding either after the turn. 66 might fold, but that is very unlikely. He would have to be almost 100% you have JJ. So after the turn, with a low-mid PP, villain will also fold along KQ and AK, 22-55. But if Villain had 22-55, you SHOULD HAVE RAISED THE FLOP, and that would have sent him packing.

So, so far with your turn raise you only hope to fold AK, KQ, and possibly 22-55. With villains range of possible hands AND this board, NOt good; I hate the turn raise. The end.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:18 AM

I might not be in the majority here, but I make this move semi-regularly, and I'm a fan. You can get other AKs to fold or get a free showdown, and you have 12 outs vs. KK, 9 vs. AA (you can't play around AA in everyscenario where you get 3 bet) and 14 outs vs. everything else but a set, which, in my opinion, he would have checkraised the flop.

You will most likely get called, if not folded to, and not 3 bet, as you look like you're waking up with a big hand after capping, giving you a free showdown if you so choose.

... also you can charge hands you are ahead of that have a lone, high heart I.E. AxKh, AxQh.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:23 AM

Im not that much of a fan of this move. Most people will call you down anyway. The 3th heart indicates that you have a pp w/ a heart in it or 2 broadway cards with a heart. If he has AA-TT he isn't going anywhere. And you (might) get 3 bet by TT.

On the other hand you might get AKo without a heart to fold (although I think its unlikely since he bet out on the flop).

I like the move if you plan on calling the river bet even if you do not improve. Then again i'm not sure what you are beating.

Escape,
Old 07-12-2005, 05:31 AM

its not bluffing if they dont fold and i'm going be a bit surprised if the player you describe finds a fold on this board

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 07-12-2005, 05:37 AM

I think i like the play becasue you are not folding the turn with the Ah, and I think the majority of the time you will with A) get a free showdown or B) Hit a heart,K, or A on the river and it is good in which case you get an extra bet from QQ or JJ. I can see calling the turn and floding the river, but if you are not folding to a river bet then I like your line.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:43 AM

when he caps, I think I just call the turn, this usually means a pocket pair or the same hand as you. However(played the same as you), if I miss the river I bet, because there is a chance he has a hand like yours and will fold the river UI. BTW, I am drunk, so don't take this too seriously.