Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 12:59 PM

Default Re: I think my QQ are second best but should I fold?

grunch....

3bet flop

bet turn

bet river

"With JJ he wouldn't have capped."

This is not good =)

and set the converter from FTR to 2+2 forums in the top left corner
Old 11-03-2005, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you fold a big PP (>=JJ, and especially if it's an overpair)at any point during a hand with no more read than this, you're probably making a pretty big mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. I didn't mention that in my post.

[ QUOTE ]
So, somebody capping TT or AK preflop is a donk? What about AKs? AQs? KQs?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
When CO caps preflop and the flop doesn't give you a set, check-call down, IMO, unless an overcard falls and then reevaluate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on these two quotes, I'm wondering why the majority opinion is that checking the flop is OK. Isn't there a lot of value, especially leading the flop, in putting a bet in? Certainly, there are some drawing hands between us and the capper, and even HU vs. the capper, we have a good chance to be ahead.

I can see check/calling it down after being raised on the flop, since we know we want to get to showdown (but even then, I still think there's some value in betting the turn, since so many people are sticking around).

It's not going to surprise me to lose this hand, but it seems that for the times we're ahead, multiway, we want to encourage money to go into the pot.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:10 PM

Default Re: tx for converter info **no message**

no message
Old 11-03-2005, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Based on these two quotes, I'm wondering why the majority opinion is that checking the flop is OK.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point was that ABSENT A READ we can't put Villan on a hand that beats us to the degree of certainty that we should fold. But, we can say that a normal-to-good Villan is only going to cap preflop with AA/KK/QQ/AKs; that's 1 hand we're tied with, 4 hands we're ahead of, and 12 hands we're behind. So against an unknown preflop capper, I want to get QQ to showdown as cheaply as possible and learn something about him.

Further, as big as this pot is we're not giving wrong odds to those drawing hands between us and the capper, so we're not making them make a mistake by calling our bet. Check-raising will also not protect our hand at all, so check-calling is the only logical alternative.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:12 PM

OK, that makes sense. FWIW, I wasn't thinking about giving anyone wrong odds to call. I was looking at it from a value standpoint, and I thought there was some value in betting. I did a quick and dirty EV calculation using a tight capping range, though, and we're better off check-calling than bet-calling (although bet-calling is still +EV).

Even if we're absolutely certain that his capping range is tight, we still have odds to call our 2-outer on the flop if it's only a bet back to us. It's nice that one of our queens is the same suit as the flush draw, too, so if we hit a queen, it won't put 3 to a flush on the board.