Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 06:59 PM

Default Speed PP Strategy

Do you start out at a low table if you register early or is it random? It seems like way more a luckfest if you start on a high table, but is that better? These tournies are really strange due to the stalling and massive blind increase at about 2x entrants from payout.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Speed PP Strategy

[ QUOTE ]
Do you start out at a low table if you register early or is it random?

[/ QUOTE ]

Random.

[ QUOTE ]
It seems like way more a luckfest if you start on a high table, but is that better?

[/ QUOTE ]

By definition, a "Speed" tourney is a crapshoot due to the fast blind structure. And because PP breaks up it's tables from highest to lowest, it can be beneficial to a shortstacked player to miss a blind turn when a table breaks.

[ QUOTE ]
These tournies are really strange due to the stalling and massive blind increase at about 2x entrants from payout.

[/ QUOTE ]

People should play as fast as possible until Level 11 or 12. The stalling is a good strategy as it pits table against tables rather than player against player. If the play gets to hand for hand and/or at max blind level, stalling is pretty much pointless.

These tourney can be a lot of fun but there's is not much skill beyond uber-gap concept play.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:52 PM

bump

speedy tournies are fun lol
Old 08-30-2005, 07:54 PM

Is there a reason why you would ever stall at table 1? Stalling keeps the total money at the table constant; playing at full speed would continually bring new money to the table.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:00 PM

How about if one guy needs to go out before you're in the money, and you are going to make an all-in bet. I mean come on, this was an easy question.

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a reason why you would ever stall at table 1? Stalling keeps the total money at the table constant; playing at full speed would continually bring new money to the table.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-30-2005, 08:02 PM

Ok, don't take me too literally. I'm not asking if there is any conceivable situation where you would stall. I'm noting that in the ordinary speed tourney, the low-numbered tables start stalling at the exact same time as all the other tables, and I don't see how this makes sense as a strategy. I can see a reason for an individual player on table 1 to stall, in a specific situation, but I can't see a justification for the entire table stalling, ever.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:07 PM

There are plenty of reasons to stall if you play these properly. I won't go into too much detail because it'd take forever, but think about the amount of hands you play to get from ITM to the final table in a speed tourney and then figure out how much it varies by stack size (surprisingly little.)
Old 08-30-2005, 08:20 PM

By the time you get through about 3/4 of the field, the big blind (and eventually the small blind) automatically puts every player in the game, with the exception of maybe 2 or 3, all in.

If you're table is acting faster, you're essentially becoming the big blind, and going all in, more than you have to. When it gets to this point, each hand is pretty much small blind vs. big blind, with everyone else automatically folding.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:23 PM

These explanations make sense to me. Thanks.