Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2005, 12:47 AM

Default Something kind of new for me

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB folds.

Final Pot: 4.50 BB

What do you think? Do you do this often? How do you handle getting capped? Getting called?
Old 08-13-2005, 12:55 AM

Default Re: Something kind of new for me

What do you think? Do you do this often?

i think if you want to win this hand, just call him down.

he folded this time, but he probably didnt fold a better hand. more often than not your dealing with having to fire anotehr turn bet. why not just calls his turn bet and see what the riva brings.

are you buying that TV?

can i stay over?
Old 08-13-2005, 12:58 AM

I occasionally make this play in similar spots and I am still in Limbo with it. All I really have to show are my results, and in my experience it's been that when they call the 3-bet they also call down too often.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:03 AM

What do you mean by too often? That they call too much and this is a leak in their game or that they don't fold hands when you want them to and the end up beating you?
Old 08-13-2005, 01:05 AM

Yea, I think you're right. It's just when I call down in these spots it seems most times he either has me on the flop or catches on the way to SD [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Sounds like fishspeak I know...

Yea I orderd the TV. Sure you can stay, but my entire apt. is probably about the size of your bedroom now.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you mean by too often? That they call too much and this is a leak in their game or that they don't fold hands when you want them to and the end up beating you?

[/ QUOTE ]the latter.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:32 AM

i think it's pretty close. the advantages of calling down: negate the possibility of folding the best hand to a turn bluff raise and/or winning 2 extra BB from a bluff.

what makes it close is that the advantages of 3betting are protecting the best hand against at least 6 outs and at most 14 outs and this is a pretty big plus, even though the pot is small.

this is all assuming that he's not folding a better hand ever, but we can agree on that right?

that said i think i just call down, but i don't mind a 3bet.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:40 AM

I make this move more than I should, but I find it works quite a bit. I have also found that he he calls the 3 bet on the flop he almost never folds unless it is a very scary turn or river. This being said after I 3 bet I often check the turn if he calls and try to spike an ace on the river or just give up.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:42 AM

I'm split between calling down and folding the turn UI...I like to know the player i'm against - there are some players who will take shots at me whenever it seems "obvious" that i've missed the board. Others (more TAG, better players) will value-raise any pair on boards like this, but won't bluff-raise at them because they know i'll call w/ ace-hi.

As a default I'd call down, because there are more aggressive nuts than good players in this game.

Surf
Old 08-13-2005, 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I find it works quite a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

You aren't folding worse hands. When it "works" you would have much preferred he bet the turn + river erroneously as a (semi)bluff and earn yourself 2 more BBs with the best hand. By 3betting you let him make the correct decision from a TOP standpoint - the benefits of driving out a hand with outs are more prevalent in a significantly larger pot.

Surf