Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2005, 09:26 AM

Default Weak River Fold?

Villan is nothing special maybe a little passive. Dont remeber his stats exactly think 40/15ish. Is there a better way to play this river. Once I bet does a worse hand raise me on this board often enough to warrent a call?
Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls.

Flop: (7 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (6.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB
Old 07-01-2005, 09:29 AM

Default Re: Weak River Fold?

You said he's a little passive and he's waiting until that river to raise. I think its a pretty safe fold
Old 07-01-2005, 09:37 AM

If you are going to bet and fold to a raise, might as well check-call. Against a passive player, check folding is also an option
Old 07-01-2005, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are going to bet and fold to a raise, might as well check-call. Against a passive player, check folding is also an option

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't think button pays off here with a worse hand a lot of the time? I think we're getting a call from a clubless ace here some of the time, maybe some worse hands, and we're only getting raised by a hand that's clearly beating us. When we check and this player bets were a pretty big dog so I like a bet/fold first, and then maybe a check/fold as a candidate for a close second.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't think button pays off here with a worse hand a lot of the time? I think we're getting a call from a clubless ace here some of the time, maybe some worse hands, and we're only getting raised by a hand that's clearly beating us. When we check and this player bets were a pretty big dog so I like a bet/fold first, and then maybe a check/fold as a candidate for a close second.

[/ QUOTE ]

No i dont think there are many worse hands paying of here. I'd rather pay one bet and see a showdown, rather than paying one bet to fold.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No i dont think there are many worse hands paying of here.

[/ QUOTE ]
In this game that is just not the case. Many worse hands would pay off here. I would be surprised if he would fold any
ace or king here.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No i dont think there are many worse hands paying of here. I'd rather pay one bet and see a showdown, rather than paying one bet to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

VPIP40 and this guy never pays off with a worse two pair or Ax? I'd rather pay one bet to fold. A raise is never a bluff from this guy and I'm not letting a L/P fish get a free showdown with a worse hand he'll call with.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why would you rather pay 1 bet and see a showdown when you can just bet the river, which costs one bet, and get called by worse hands all the time. you can also easily fold to a raise...the player read makes a fold even easier actually. pretty basic application of clark's theorem here.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:13 PM

This is absolutely fine. Given opponent description it looks like he has the Qc, picked up the draw on the turn, and the river was his magic card. His only other hand is Ax that he's calling you down with, and he won't raise your bet with the X of clubs.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:16 PM

NH, good river bet, good laydown.

Jon