Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 03:06 PM

Default 1/2 Stud High - Chase this?

Same 6 max game. Villain just sat so no read.

BTW, I’m at home and “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire” is on. The question just asked was what game Doyle Brunson’s “Super System” referred to. The choices: Chess, Bridge, Poker and Golf. The female contestant didn’t know and used her male “Phone a Friend”, who didn’t know either. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] She then used her “50/50” which left her with Poker and Golf. She guessed correctly saying there was probably more of a system to poker. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

7 Card Stud High ($1/$2), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $0.50 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.50 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 3: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___folds
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___completes___calls

4th Street - (6.50 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (4.25 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks

6th Street - (4.25 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___calls

River - (8.25 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___checks
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks

<font color="blue">Crap, missed my CR. </font>

Total pot: (8.25 BB)

Results: (in white) <font color="white">
Main Pot: $15.75 | Rake: $0.75

Seat 2: [ Qs 7h Qd 2d 3s 6h Jd ] [ a pair of queens -- Qs,Qd,Jd,7h,6h ]

Hero: [ 3h Tc Ts 8d 4d 4h Th ] [ a full house, Tens full of fours -- Tc,Ts,Th,4d,4h ]
</font>
Old 10-19-2005, 03:09 PM

Default Re: 1/2 Stud High - Chase this?

You missed an easy bet on 5th street. With a pair of queens he will keep driving. My guess is he either has a monster or just decided you aren't going to fold so he'd better stop betting and hope to draw out cheap. My guess is you are ahead a good bit here and I'm not going to let a card slide off for nothing in this spot. There are a lot more busted hands than monsters.

Jeff
Old 10-19-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You missed an easy bet on 5th street. With a pair of queens he will keep driving. My guess is he either has a monster or just decided you aren't going to fold so he'd better stop betting and hope to draw out cheap. My guess is you are ahead a good bit here and I'm not going to let a card slide off for nothing in this spot. There are a lot more busted hands than monsters.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say if he doesnt have those Qs he has a 4 flush that bricked 5th a good portion of the time and his diamonds are still pretty live.
If he just has a random 4 flush you are about 2:1 I think, but if he has an overcard it is about 55:45.
If he DOES have the queens then twodimes puts you behind 72:27.

You can be somewhat ahead against a strong draw or be way behind here. I definitely don't think its an easy bet on 5th. Once you catch 6th definitely bet out I'd say like hero did.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:25 PM

You're putting him on too narrow a range. Is a smaller buried pair not a possibility? What about QKA? Or how about Q-K-10 so he doesn't think hero has tens? What about a WTF raise?

Or of course, he could have a pair of queens. Or a 4-flush. But...in my experience, queens are going to continue betting. So is a 4-flush b/c he knows he has three shots at it and wants to drive it to poss win w/o hitting (and everyone knows 5th is the decision street).

So my best read on his hand is outside chance of a monster or overs that haven't helped (more likely). Maybe the smaller pair. If he's really timid, maybe queens.

Either way, there is no way in hell I'm letting a card slide off for nothing here.

Jeff
Old 10-19-2005, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Jeff,

One thing I noticed in my first (only so far) session in this game was that the player leading the betting often backed off on fifth if he hadn’t caught a second pair or better. Now, this guy had just sat, so who knows. However, since he had raised third (which was rare for this table) I did give him credit for the Queens (or some pair better than Tens).

When he checked fifth, I thought either he had got frisky on third with a 3-flush or he hadn’t caught that beloved second pair yet. I was grateful for the free card, but like you said may also have been giving one myself.

Given all this, when he raised me on sixth, maybe I should have just folded. After all, my hand is there to see. But this is 6 max and he is new and I can’t fold.

6 max Stud High is fascinating. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2005, 03:54 PM

Given all this, when he raised me on sixth, maybe I should have just folded. After all, my hand is there to see. But this is 6 max and he is new and I can’t fold.

Another option I think would of been to Re-raise and bet out on the river if he called the re-raise.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another option I think would of been to Re-raise and bet out on the river if he called the re-raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I was behind Queens up at that point. He was new to the table, but that raise on sixth seemed pretty strong to me.

Of course, it also smelled a little funny - oh, I see, you have a six in the hole.

If I re-raised sixth and he had capped, I would have folded.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:38 PM

I would have considered folding 3rd. I probably would have folded 4th. Especially not knowing the player. Apparent Qs are scary enough for me.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have considered folding 3rd. I probably would have folded 4th. Especially not knowing the player. Apparent Qs are scary enough for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are probably right. However, he was new to the table and I’d already seen a couple of cowboys, so I kind of wanted to see for myself.

This game rocks, I’m playing right now and doubled up, sweet. Of course, wait a couple and I’ll be down. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2005, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are probably right. However, he was new to the table and I’d already seen a couple of cowboys, so I kind of wanted to see for myself.

This game rocks, I’m playing right now and doubled up, sweet. Of course, wait a couple and I’ll be down. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, after I posted this I dropped below my buy-in. Up a little now, nice roller coaster! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]