Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2005, 11:50 AM

Default Pocket 3s

I start (33)A. My three are live. It's 6 way and I think this Party 3-6 table is pretty fishy.

Bring in has a deuce in the door, Ad calls, I call with As, 7h calls, 10c calls.

We see fourth:

(xx)24
(xx)Ad9d
(33)As8h
(xx)7hJs
(xx)10h6s

Checked to the T6 who bets. Bring in calls, Ad9d calls, I call, 7hJs calls.

I considered folding here, but felt no one likely had much and decided to see one more, since my 3s were live.

Fifth
(xx)249c
(xx)Ad9dKd
(33)As8hQc
(xx)7hJs8s
(xx)10h6s2d

Checked around. Obviously, I'm gone if there's a bet here. I think the player with the diamonds board made a significant error not betting -- but then again this is the trouble for loose players who limp with awful hands -- you can have a menacing board and absolute crap under.

Sixth
(xx)2498
(xx)Ad9dKdAh
(3s3c)As8hQc3d
(xx)7hJs8s2c
(xx)10h6s2dJd

I get lucky...and my neighbor finally bets his 3 flush and newly paired Aces. There's about $24 in the pot and I raise to clear the field. They all fold, Aces call. I don't improve and we check through the river.

He had one pair, aces, and a four flush (but he could have caught the fourth diamond on the river).

Who likes the raise on 6th? Who hates the check behind on the river? Who thinks I never should have been in the hand at all, or should have folded fourth?
Old 03-07-2005, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Pocket 3s

would've played it the same way... i generally like waiting until 5th to make my decision to continue or give up... as long as something scary doesn't happen like a 3rd street raiser pairs his doorcard, or it's multiple bets to me... if it's 1 bet and you can be fairly confident the J7 won't pop it, it's worth taking another card off, i think

on 5th, like you said, its clearly a fold but these individuals refuse to bet

mike
Old 03-07-2005, 12:22 PM

I'd play this hand even with the one dead ace as long as it was just for the bring in. I would consider a completion on 3rd for deception...since the other Ace didn't raise I would guess he doesnt have a pair of aces and may have a hand like yours or a 3 flush or even just high cards.

I like the raise on 6th and I would have bet the river.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:00 PM

Well, I think a river bet may be in order BUT I've made a c/r attempt significantly more likely by my 6th street raise. In other words, if he does catch his flush, he's likely to think I'll bet the river (and go for a c/r) since I raised on sixth. And I'll have to call. So I like betting here when I fill, because I want a c/r from a flush. Still, I think he will call with just aces sometimes and just about always with aces up, so a bet is probably correct.

Surprised you both like calling fourth -- I'm still not sure whether this is a -EV call or not. With two decent players in, I think it's a fold. But this was a fishy table.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:39 PM

I'd call the bring-in on 3rd, and might even complete to drive others out. Since you didn't complete, though, I'd fold on 4th. You haven't represented the strength on 3rd by completing to make people think you've got a hand, and you know at least one of your A's is dead, so you're calling into a family pot with a pair of 3's and not many cards out there that improve you to a winning hand. It looks like a long term -EV play to me.

I like the raise on 6th. The only way you're behind is if the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] plays split A's or made flushes very strangely.

7th street: he either needs a diamond or the case A to beat you. There's no way he can know from your board that you have trips. He checked to start the action on 7th. If he has two pair, he'll call. Likelihood of him improving to two pair, or already having had it on sixth, is much higher than likelihood of improving the four flush or to trip A's, so I think it's a good value bet for you to make.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:43 PM

I agree on your river analysis. However, I think completing third is a mistake. Bad players make many more calling than folding errors, so raising to represent a strong hand and ko people just doesn't work enough to be worth it. Now against thinking players in an overante game, yes.

But I prefer to creep in against loose passive types and take advantage of their tendency to call to make money when I improve and they don't. Basically, when they improve and I don't, I fold. When I improve and they don't, they call. That's the edge I'm looking for in a game like this with a hand like this.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:37 PM

manditory river bet

otherwise g00t
Old 03-07-2005, 04:36 PM

Third street limp looks fine. Since its now costing you a full bet on fourth I think you have an easy fold. Fifth good free card for you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Sixth obvious raise, as you did. There's no way I check behind on the river here. You must bet.

Mike Emery
Old 03-07-2005, 04:36 PM

Who likes the raise on 6th?
- Not me. You had NOTHING. He had aces, a flush draw, and a bunch of other overcards to your 3s.

Who hates the check behind on the river?
- Not me, if he raises, he could be raising with Aces up or with a diamond. There's no way for you to know. Check/call.

Who thinks I never should have been in the hand at all, or should have folded fourth?
- Me. A pair of 3s in a multi-way pot?!?! the only thing worse would have been a pair of twos.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Who likes the raise on 6th?
- Not me. You had NOTHING. He had aces, a flush draw, and a bunch of other overcards to your 3s.

Who hates the check behind on the river?
- Not me, if he raises, he could be raising with Aces up or with a diamond. There's no way for you to know. Check/call.

Who thinks I never should have been in the hand at all, or should have folded fourth?
- Me. A pair of 3s in a multi-way pot?!?! the only thing worse would have been a pair of twos.

[/ QUOTE ]

grb-

I think you misread the post. MRB made trips 3's on sixth street.

Mike Emery