Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2005, 03:01 PM

Default Bringing it in for the max, PP $20/$40 stud

Hero is dealt 3h(Ah As) and is the low card showing. In order to his left, other players show Ac, Ad, 7d, 7s, Td, 9s, Jd. Hero opts to bet the $20 rather than the usual $5 minimum bring in.

Comments? My thinking was that I didn't want to play a multiway pot with my dead aces, but it still felt strange to do. The 20/40s on party are usually loose and aggressive enough that I prefer to open the minimum and then raise when it comes back to me.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Bringing it in for the max, PP $20/$40 stud

I think alot of it depends on who else is in the game. If it is a very aggressive game, the 2 aces to the left might raise it for you if they have big cards in the hole. the ideal situation is to get the one of the Aces heads up. Since they can't improve to a better 2 pair and may overplay their hands
Old 02-28-2005, 04:11 PM

Yeah, I see what you are saying. The game plays fairly aggressive and what I would call very loose. Of course, maybe one of the aces will STILL be likely to raise me with very little, which is even better.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:16 PM

Are the aces tight? I would count on the T or the J to raise it for you and then you can pop them right back. One advantage to this is that they may give you credit for Q's or K's, and this would give you additional scare cards.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:21 PM

I think the aces raising is a problem though, right? Your opponents are unlikely to give them credit for a pair of aces, right and therefore they might call, and now you don't have much of a chance of getting players to fold.

(I'm not a 20/40 player, so excuse my ignorance if anything I'm saying is totally bogus.)

Beer
Old 02-28-2005, 04:35 PM

at this level, an ace with 2 big cards is usually an automatic raise, especially with nothing that threatening behind you.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
at this level, an ace with 2 big cards is usually an automatic raise, especially with nothing that threatening behind you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, what makes you think they'll have two big cards? I don't usually get 2 big cards with my ace? And what could possibly be threatening behind you?
Old 02-28-2005, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the aces raising is a problem though, right? Your opponents are unlikely to give them credit for a pair of aces, right and therefore they might call, and now you don't have much of a chance of getting players to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in a bookstore over the weekend, and one of the books I looked at---I think it was the hi-lo section of SuperSystem 2---had some analysis showing that, if two of your opponents have an A up, that it's actually more, not less, likely that you're facing a pair of Aces. So if an A raises with another A out on the boards, I would give credit for the raiser holding a potential pair of A's. It's one of those counterintuitive paradoxes.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was in a bookstore over the weekend, and one of the books I looked at---I think it was the hi-lo section of SuperSystem 2---had some analysis showing that, if two of your opponents have an A up, that it's actually more, not less, likely that you're facing a pair of Aces. So if an A raises with another A out on the boards, I would

[/ QUOTE ]

but he can't have a pair of aces since you have them both.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:46 PM

I like it...because the Aces are in early position.

If the aces fold you might get a bunch of other customers because no else has much else to fear (a bunch of medium upcards....with a bunch of duplicated suits)

If the aces limp it might trigger also trigger a limp fest which is bad.

If the aces just complete someone might think "he doesn't have it because the A is duplicated"...and thus call a raise. Then when you reraise you are likely to be in a 3 way pot at least.

I think raising here gives you the best chance of getting a heads up pot. If one of the Aces has a pocket pair you are very likely to get isolated with him which would be ideal.

And from my experience people dont like to tangle with BI who bring in for the max (assuming they aren't crazy)