Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2005, 02:40 PM

Default \"The Hammer\" At $50 NL

Hi all, what do you think of this flop play, and note that the converter messes up the turn action. I push, BB pushes over the top, CO folds.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Button ($237.14)
Hero ($49)
BB ($50)
UTG ($57.95)
MP ($71.55)
CO ($112.35)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls $1, Button calls $1, Hero (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($4) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $6</font>, CO calls $6, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $20</font>, BB calls $14, CO calls $14.

Turn: ($64) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
HERO OPEN PUSHES, BB calls, CO folds.

River: ($118) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $64

I was really lost after the turn, and decided my money was going in and I had to charge a flush draw, so I just push. Anyone else play it differently?
Old 01-08-2005, 02:52 PM

Default Re: \"The Hammer\" At $50 NL

I like the line. If you pushed on the flop it makes it easy for them to get away from the hand with everything except AT and QT; the raise to $20 seems just right. And then you've only got $28 left on the turn in a $64 pot? Clearly the possible club draw can't be given a free card, and if one of them pushes on the turn you're calling, so I see no alternative to the push.

If they don't fold to the push, I think you'll get shown AT or QT or T8 about half the time, but nevertheless you have to make the move.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:07 PM

what hand(s) did you put the BB on? He raises you on the flop and then calls your re-raise - this would concern me.

That said... I don't know how I could possibly talk myself into laying this down after the flop getting about 3:1 on my money. So yeah, I like the open push on the Turn. I agree completely with "have to charge a draw and I'm not laying it down on the river anyhow so .... PUSH!"

Eager to see how it worked out, but either way I think you played it well.

Play Well!
[img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]The Ugly One! [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2005, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what hand(s) did you put the BB on? He raises you on the flop and then calls your re-raise - this would concern me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair point here, Ugly. I fully expect BB to have a ten and the other guy to have two clubs. It seems reasonable to expect that BB's ten (given his free play) will be with some random kicker, and I think Wayfare looks to be good most of the time here. I think BB, if not terrible, would fold something like T3o to the turn push.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems reasonable to expect that BB's ten (given his free play) will be with some random kicker, and I think Wayfare looks to be good most of the time here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree... the flop re-raise call by the villian is either VERY GOOD (trap) or VERY BAD (weak kicker with his T or some bad draw). Without a read on this villain its impossible to know which so.... PUSH!!!!!
Old 01-08-2005, 03:44 PM

The only reasonable hand that is ahead of me on the flop is AT. I took the chance that he didn't have it.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only reasonable hand that is ahead of me on the flop is AT. I took the chance that he didn't have it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not criticizing, Wayfare, but isn't QT also a very reasonable hand for villain here? Or do you mean that QT would necessarily have pushed you all-in when you raised to $20 on the flop? I guess I know a lot of players that would wait to let you fire another bet on the turn.

Anyway, this is all a bit beside the point as I think we've got a small 3-person consensus that your line was error-free.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:57 PM

Yes, or QT.
Old 01-08-2005, 04:50 PM

first, i would definitely lead out more on the flop, maybe around pot charging any draw out there, unless you knew that underbet was going to get a raise from behind.

once you got your raise, there is 18 dollars in the pot. when you call the raise, there is 22, so you should raise 22 more, making the total raise to 28 or more instead of 20, charging ppl 2-1 instead of 3-1 for their respective draws. then you'll have only 21 more to push on the turn, and they are not getting implied odds for anything there, especially for a club draw or maybe even J9/J9c, which could be possible.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:25 AM

Looks good. Trips 2nd kicker is good 90% of the time, and you have to feel even better when no one pushes on the flop. Get it all in the turn, the pot is huge and you need to protect it/charge others for drawing.