Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 05:27 PM

Default 8/b - Folding high hands on 4th

Ray Zee advises to usually fold the high hand to lows who catch live aces, suited baby connectors, or baby door pairs on 4th street, as even if you're ahead, your opponent will be able to outplay you and since it's a small pot, go on to the next hand. If I do this regualarly, I can expect a plethora of bluffs headed my way, even players betting bricks into me when we both brick, as they assume I'm a tight player.

Therefore, I'm forced to make more calls on 4th st. than I'd wish, and occasionally get burned because of it - however I feel like I'd lose more money by folding the high hands to 4th st. scare cards, because then I'll more likely be bluffed out or forced to call bricks with less than top shelf hands- any sugesstions, thoughts etc.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:32 PM

Default Re: 8/b - Folding high hands on 4th

What level do you play at where you think your opponents actually pay attention to your folding frequency
Old 12-12-2005, 05:44 PM

5/10, 10/20 - even 3/6 games, because it's everyone plays so loosely on 4th st. compared to me. Your point is well taken as I prob. should do my own thing and most of it will go unnoticed. But I play so differently than others especially at lower levels, that I feel I stand out. Example, I check a big pair on 4th st. when a player catches a connected baby, whereas most players bet into the low hand regardless of whether they may be facing a str8 draw or not.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:32 PM

It all pretty much comes down to hand reading ability.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:50 PM

yes, i agree mscaqs, and online I'll go further against a loose player, however even loose players play ak2, so that live ace can be a problem
Old 12-12-2005, 09:04 PM

Yeah I'm a lot more likely to dump a hand when they catch a live ace as opposed to something non threatening like an eight or sometimes a seven.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:59 AM

The more I play big split pairs,the more I hate them.It's so easy to get outplayed because the other guy knows what you have,& his hand is often deceptive.So I am more of a wimp with them than most players.I like the pocket pairs about a million times better myself,because you have more game with them.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:17 PM

yeah ben, i'm with you on buried pairs .. in fact I thought about a strategy once where your door would never reveal what your playing - complete all pots you enter , raising with big cards when you have three flushes, babies when you have a big pair, trips, or a premium low and dump all others besides of course big trips, which are deceptive in their own right.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:56 PM

"For instance, suppose you are high and a couple of your opponents catch another low card that is close in rank to their third-street cards. In this situation, you mite be against more than one four card straight, as well as a low draw. It is now time to fold your high hand. If you don't fold, you often will not know how to play your hand and will get jammed. However, it the pot is heads up, your opponent who appears to be going low catches a fourth-street card close in rank to his third-street card, and you hold a good high hand, you can take a card off."

4th street is one of the keys to this game and it's very important to study the 5 pages as it will pay off in dividends down the road.

Read very carefully this section over and over.

Paul
Old 12-13-2005, 06:52 PM

i couldn't agree more with you paul about the importance of 4th st. especially because so many misplay it, your advantage could easily come from this .. however so much of it comes down to your judgment - ray zee is talking generally about higher stakes good players .. against weaker players you can't just fold down the hand every time - if you could just follow the abc's or abZee's as it were, this game would be simple