Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 12-27-2005, 08:44 PM

Default Re: table talk

I'm of the school of thought that you never, ever berate bad players for bad plays. What's to be gained from giving bad players incentive to improve or making them want to target you specifically? If they think the donk move they just pulled is correct, let them do it again, I'll note their mistake and if possible add them to a friend list to play with again down the road.

I understand what you're saying is different from just berating bad players, you're doing it for a purpose, but still, I try to remain cordial at cool at all times (doesn't always work, but that's the theory!)...
Old 12-28-2005, 10:30 AM

Professional like to grab any edges in the poker table. Since I am not a pro, I try to be nice with all players in the tables.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:25 PM

Sure pros go for every edge they can. Otherwise they wouldn't survive at that high level of competition. But this observation is actually an argument against acting like a jerk to put someone on tilt.

Because if being a jerk gives you an edge, how do you explain the demeanor of most of the top pros? Negreneu (sp?), Ivey, Brunson, Greenstein, etc., all seem to be liked by their opponents at the table. So maybe they are getting an extra edge by being likable? Or maybe not. But it certainly hasn't kept them from reaching the pinnacle of poker.

Be honest with yourself - if you are being an ass at the table, are you really doing it to get an edge or because you really are an ass? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Many poker players don't have the strength of character to endure frustration without lashing out at those around them. That isn't strategic - it is a character flaw.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:19 PM

I find that it is very profitable to act like a regular joe schmo at the table. Be friendly, polite, show a couple of your great hands every now and then to assure people ("GREAT FOLD THERE MAN!"). Once youve built this table image, of a predictable, tight/cautious player, I find that your fold equity (correct application?) on bluffs and other marginal hands becomes MUCH higher. If people think youre just having a rush of hands, theyll stay away from you, even if youre raising the button with rags. Even loud, obnoxious, unpredictable "know-it-alls" are cautious against a friendly guy who just seems to be getting all the luck.

My first post!
Old 12-29-2005, 03:27 PM

I think that being an ass to tilt people can be effective in a tournament (although I don't think it is worth doing. I much prefer to watch Daniel than Helmuth or the Mouth), but in the cash games that these people play in, it would be very counter-productive. I suspect that alot of the people that they play with in the big games know that they are not a favorite in the game. They play for the challenge, the experience, and a chance to come out ahead. If the big game players made it unpleasant for the whales to play, they'd go play craps.

[ QUOTE ]
Because if being a jerk gives you an edge, how do you explain the demeanor of most of the top pros? Negreneu (sp?), Ivey, Brunson, Greenstein, etc., all seem to be liked by their opponents at the table. So maybe they are getting an extra edge by being likable? Or maybe not. But it certainly hasn't kept them from reaching the pinnacle of poker.

[/ QUOTE ]