Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2005, 03:35 PM

Default Re-Raising Standards

I've been recently teaching no limit to some friends of mine, so I'd like to give them a rule of thumb for re-raising. Of course every situation is different etc. etc.

I was thinking that if less than 1/4 of his hand range dominates your hand (pocket pair vs overcards or vica versa don't count) then you should re-raise preflop. This is calculated by looking at the villians pfr, and assume that he raises the best hands.

Example:

You have AQ. The only hands that dominate AQ are AA KK QQ and AK

given you have AQ, an opponent will get one of these four hands about 2% of the time (AA ~.25%, KK ~.5%, QQ ~.25, AK ~1%), so if the villian's pfr is greater than 8% you should re-raise his preflop raises

So, who likes my general approach to re-raising standards preflop? and who likes the specific fraction of about 1/4? I'm thinking maybe 1/5 is better

Btw, this is for 6-max NL, and in my experience position actually doesn't seem too important. If I am re-raising AQ preflop I actually prefer to be OOP so I can bet any flop, and fold to any resistance. In my experience since you will be getting 10%-15% of your stack in preflop initiative seems to be much more important than position

And I'd be very interested if some one thinks there is a better rule of thumb for re-raising
Old 12-29-2005, 03:55 PM

Default Re: Re-Raising Standards

Position is very important. If you are UTG with AQ and raise 3x the big blind and then get blasted from a guy in a later position, what do you expect him to have? I'd say something better than AQ. However, if you are in late position and some raises 3x the big blind, you can feel confident about reraising for two reasons: one, you'll have position on the later streets.
two, if he comes over the top on you, then you have a better picture of what he is holding.
It takes a better hand to call a raise than it does to make one.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:58 PM

Of course all this depends on how these other players at said table are too. Are they TAG? LAG? I don't know if I like the idea of any rule of thumb when it comes to that kind of thing. It's very situational.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are UTG with AQ and raise 3x the big blind and then get blasted from a guy in a later position, what do you expect him to have?

[/ QUOTE ]

I fold here most of the time, but I'm talking about what we should be re-raising with, I'm not trying to interpret other people's re-raises

The only time I am re-raising OOP is from the blinds, and I stand by my claim that re-raising AQ from the blinds against a lag is not too much different then re-raising AQ in position against a lag. I reckon this is true because of the fact that we both will then only have about 2 or 3 pot bets left in our stack on the flop, which is ideal for lead/folding a missed flop OOP