Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 05:05 PM

Default Easy fold or Too much in pot 20 40 at borgata

The game plays very loose at times. The big blind is a good player who usually plays at higher limits, seems like a solid player but runs pretty bad this particular session. The UTG +1 is pretty loose but capable of making a good play post flop. 4 limp I am on the button with Jc9c and limp. Small blind limps BB raises. All call. Flop is Q 10 2 rainbow. BB bets 3 callers, I raise. BB three bets. UTG+1 calls and I call. Three handed to the turn. Turn is a jack. BB bets, and we both call. BB bets blind pre-river. River comes an offsuit king giving me the low end straight. UTG+1 immediatly raises. I ????
Old 12-08-2005, 05:45 PM

Default Re: Easy fold or Too much in pot 20 40 at borgata

You haven't told us much about UTG+1's aggressiveness. But he would have to be Mother Teresa for me to fold this. I call looking for the overcall.

P.S. Paragraphs are your friend.

- Jim
Old 12-08-2005, 06:09 PM

Played with him for about 10 minutes, noticed him play more preflop, and showed aggression (controlled) postflop. Sample size of about 8-10 hands.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:17 PM

I'm too lazy to count the pot size for you. count the bets and see how often it has to happen that neither of them have an Ace for your call to be profitable. Keep in mind that you're splitting with another 9 and will get reraised (and have to fold) when BB has an Ace.

as mentioned above, reads would help.

sorry for hte generic response, but it's all I got without further info from you.

-WT
Old 12-08-2005, 06:17 PM

Make it 3 bets so he folds his 9.

Seriously.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:19 PM

I would cap the flop and take a free card on the turn if I don't improve. If you don't get the free card, the flop cap costs you nothing in expectation anyway because you are going to end up with the best hand about a third of the time here and neither opponent is folding for one more bet as the cap protects you against BB raising again and driving the other guy out.

Most of the time, they will both check to you on the turn if you cap. On a QT2r flop, there aren't many strong draws available, so BB is likely to give you credit for a strong hand here rather than a draw and check the turn. Even if he doesn't give you credit for strength, he may try to check-raise the turn to protect his hand in this large pot. One way or another, you get a free card often. Since your jack high is worthless unimproved, you don't have to worry about a turn check causing you to get bluffed out on the river.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is pretty bad advice.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The big blind is a good player who usually plays at higher limits, seems like a solid player but runs pretty bad this particular session.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you know his name?

i think this is a fold at the 20/40. i've played this game a lot the last few months. very rarely you'll see players capable of putting 2 bets in on a KQJTX board to fold out a lower straight. i didn't count the pot but i don't think you're good there anywhere close to what need to make money there calling 2 cold. you also have to worry about the BB waking up and 3-betting.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is pretty bad advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know.

At first it was going to be a joking post, but then I realized it makes sense.

I don't think the pot is big enough to overcall with the bottom end of the straight with one other behind you (who could have AK since he bet in the dark), UTG+1 could be making a move with almost any 2 here including a 9, and I don't know about you, but I usually fold bottom ends of straights once I get 3-bet after I raised on a 4 to a straight board (in a full ring game obv).

So... joke turns out serious.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The big blind is a good player who usually plays at higher limits, seems like a solid player but runs pretty bad this particular session.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you know his name?

i think this is a fold at the 20/40. i've played this game a lot the last few months. very rarely you'll see players capable of putting 2 bets in on a KQJTX board to fold out a lower straight. i didn't count the pot but i don't think you're good there anywhere close to what need to make money there calling 2 cold. you also have to worry about the BB waking up and 3-betting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.