Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 11:51 AM

Default Jeter or A-Rod to CF?

Joe Torre is thinking of moving Jeter or A-Rod to CF to replace Bernie Williams. Interesting. link
Old 11-29-2005, 12:26 PM

Default Re: Jeter or A-Rod to CF?

not interesting. never gonna happen.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:39 PM

Red Sox were rumored to be thinking about a similar move w/ (now traded) top prospect Hanley Ramirez.

Also, there are rumors that Nomar could be a centerfielder soon (or, gasp, a 1B).

as for this move, if it means they don't give Johnny Damon $50 million, I'm all for it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2005, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
not interesting. never gonna happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean like how 2 years ago there was no way A-Rod would be willing to play 3rd base?
I think Jeter would be the more likely one to be asked to move to CF. He respects Torre enough to say yes if asked.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You mean like how 2 years ago there was no way A-Rod would be willing to play 3rd base?
I think Jeter would be the more likely one to be asked to move to CF. He respects Torre enough to say yes if asked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh. I think Jeter is more likely to move to CF b/c he'd prob be better at it, not because he'd do it. The article mentions his over the shoulder catch ability and his arm..

I think either guy would move, if asked. But respecting Torre has nothing to do with it, IMO.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:05 PM

I had thought moving Jeter to center was something that would happen when Bernie petered out. Of course, the Yankees would then need a shortstop or third baseman. Isn't it easier to come up with an outfielder?

Torre's playing it smart: "That's happened before, hasn't it? Bobby Murcer, Mickey Mantle. Hank Aaron came up as a second baseman. Robin Yount went to center field."
Old 11-29-2005, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Red Sox were rumored to be thinking about a similar move w/ (now traded) top prospect Hanley Ramirez.

Also, there are rumors that Nomar could be a centerfielder soon (or, gasp, a 1B).

as for this move, if it means they don't give Johnny Damon $50 million, I'm all for it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

50? i heard damon was asking for something even more ridiculous for a 7 year deal...
Old 11-29-2005, 01:08 PM

Im more worried these days that the Yankees will sign Brian Giles for 30 mil/3 years. YIKES.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im more worried these days that the Yankees will sign Brian Giles for 30 mil/3 years. YIKES.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that would be a horrible move considering he is neither young nor a center fielder nor a leadoff hitter. Flash is going to leave too. That will also suck.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:23 PM

Giles will be 35 this year. He's not quite the player he was in his prime, but he still had an OPS of .906 and walked 119 times last year while hitting .301. His power numbers are down from his big years in Pittsburgh, but hitting in Yankee Stadium would help. He's certainly a far better option than Bubba or Bernie.