Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2005, 04:15 PM

Default 1-2 nl

hi im usually a tourney player but i just started playing 1-2 nl, what is a good number of bbs/100 to have? the game i play at has a lot of loose calling stations who are horrible at poker.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:50 PM

Default Re: 1-2 nl

Enough so you cover all the fish.

200 is enough to buy in and play and win good money. So, 100bb is fine.

However, I would want to be as deep as possible with all the fish. Especially to beat the rake at this limit live.

blake
Old 11-27-2005, 04:51 PM

Wanted to note that sometimes at these live places, the rake is so high on these low stakes games that they are UNBEATABLE. Even for phil ivey and the likes.

blake
Old 11-27-2005, 05:35 PM

I ammsue this is a capped buy-in game...

That being said this is going to be a very high variance game. Playing TAG and being able to get away from TPTK type hands and assuming you played enough hands you are likely to be in the 10-20PTBB/100 range maybe more.

So lets do a little math. At 1/2NL you will be lucky to see more than 40 hands per hour (on the high side here, but lets use it for the sake of example). 20PTBB/100 (again on the high side) for 1/2NL is $40 per 100 hands or about $16/hr without any consideration for rake/time charges. Just imagine if you had to pay $5/hhr time charge, leaving you a whooping $6/hr... Can you say fast food pays more?

Is 1/2NL beatable, in the short term yes, in the long term no, but who is going to play 1/2NL for the next 10 years.

If your B&M has a 2 or 3/5 NL game, get in it. The quality of the players will be very similar, but the money will be greater. If you can run in the 10-15PTBB/100 range then the game becomes much more realistic.

If the games you are playing in not capped, well none of this is relivent.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:08 PM

PT accounts for the rake when calculating bb/100
Additionally some 1/2 games have a 100 max some have 500 dollar maxes so in a deeper stacked game against donkeys you can make a lot more
Old 11-27-2005, 11:36 PM

2 things...

1) i think 1/2 NL live is beatable but you might need to stick around for a little while and wait for decent hands. i only have experience at the woods and turningstone so i could be wrong.

2) slight hijack, anybody know how fw 1/2 compares to 2/5? any insight much appreciated. i dont have the roll or stomach for the 5/5 uncapped.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:23 AM

Default Foxwoods 1/2 is the worst game out there

The foxwoods 1/2 is a ridiculous game as it is capped at 100 buy in. it is all about waiting for a hand and hoping it holds up. the biggest gambling game that I ever sat down in. True you were getting good odds on your money but no much better than betting a color or row at roulette. If you had aces or kings preflop and made it 12 and were raised and you only have 88 behind you almost have to go all in as any signifigant reraise leaves you with nothing behind for the betting after the flop. That was the type of game it was.
You really have to play at least the 2/5 at Foxwoods if you are going to play NL up there...
Old 11-28-2005, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Foxwoods 1/2 is the worst game out there

[ QUOTE ]
The foxwoods 1/2 is a ridiculous game as it is capped at 100 buy in. it is all about waiting for a hand and hoping it holds up. the biggest gambling game that I ever sat down in. True you were getting good odds on your money but no much better than betting a color or row at roulette. If you had aces or kings preflop and made it 12 and were raised and you only have 88 behind you almost have to go all in as any signifigant reraise leaves you with nothing behind for the betting after the flop. That was the type of game it was.
You really have to play at least the 2/5 at Foxwoods if you are going to play NL up there...

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more. I played for about 3 hours at 1/2 NL there (I know - small sample size), and saw people call all-ins with JQo. I just waited for my big ones and bet huge. Paid off as I was up $300 when I left. It's a fish tank, for sure. Turning Stone is a bit better, but not much. I crushed that game Saturday afternoon (after a guy called my AK in the tourney with his Q2o and I busted on a AQ2 flop)