Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 04:08 PM

Default Betting the pot

I'm a newb to PL games, and am only playing at $25 and $50 buyins.

I've read the little I can find online about Omaha High, and I saw the advice that I should always bet the pot if I bet at all.

Is this correct?

I've noticed that a pot sized bet often gets no callers.

Sometimes this is good (when there are possible draws on the flop), but sometimes it is not (if you hold the nuts or near nuts on the River).

Do you always bet the pot, or do you vary bet sizes.

If so, what is your criteria?

Also, is it correct to bet a flush or straight draw in Omaha the way I often do in Holdem?

Thanks
Old 12-05-2005, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Betting the pot

There are plenty of people who only bet the pot, but varying your bet size according to the situation is probably more profitable. Of course, knowing how much to bet is the hard part. The best information on this complicated topic is Rolf Slotboom's article "The amount of the bet in pot-limit Omaha".
Old 12-05-2005, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The best information on this complicated topic is Rolf Slotboom's article "The amount of the bet in pot-limit Omaha".

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you (or anyone) still have access to this article? It's not linked on Rolf's homepage and the original publisher no longer exists (according to Rolf's webpage).
Old 12-05-2005, 06:50 PM

I would love a link as well.

As to OP....personally I think there are MANY benifits to NOT always potting it. I think both of my favorites are related to a just large enough bet on the riv to LOOK like you want a call.

Amazingly I feel many times betting the "just bigger than small" bet is a better bluff/buy move than betting pot. Also, when you "get there" on the riv you make the same type of bet (one so now they don't know when it is a bluff and not) to get that "I know I'm beat but it's so little" call........or better yet.....the "MAYBE I can bluff him out of the pot" reraise......of course doing this without the NUTS makes for some terrible decisions you don't want (SO DON'T DO IT UNLESS YOU KNOW YOU ARE BEAT OR KNOW YOU HAVE THEM BEATEN).

P.S. I am a reckless, loose, aggressive, fish-maniac......my opines mean little.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:58 PM

Pot and No Limit Poker goes into a little bit of detail on betting just outside of what your opponent thinks would be the correct pot odds to call. The authors put it in terms of knowing that you are actually killing some of your opponents outs in your hand without his knowledge, but this level of thinking will probably never apply at the $25 or $50 level. You can still apply this principle somewhat, in that rather than betting pot, bet a large amount that still makes it incorrect for your opponent to draw out to you (and therefore long run +EV for you, assuming you can accurately read his draw).
Old 12-05-2005, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've read the little I can find online about Omaha High, and I saw the advice that I should always bet the pot if I bet at all.

Is this correct?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a common expert opinion, but it's not universal. Furthermore, it only strictly applies to post-flop and turn bets. In Omaha, it's almost always possible (quite likely in fact) that one of (or a combination of) your opponents has pot odds to call any pot sized bet. The only way to minimize their pot odds is to bet the max (i.e. the pot). Of course this doesn't apply if you have a straight flush, quads, or the overboat (i.e. a QQxx hand and a Q55 board).

This never applies on the river because drawing out is no longer an issue. Feel free to make 1/3 or 1/2 pot value bets on the river.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:01 AM

Silent acorns under the tree
Hoping, hoping, the squirrel don't see
Their plump round shape nestled amongst the leaves
Before they can sprout and make more trees.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:34 AM

Probably the most common mistake you will see in the small stakes games is gross underbetting of the pot and the rampant calling of these small bets by players getting "good odds."

For example:
Holding 9-9-x-x on a 9-4-4 flop doesn't mean that you should be betting .25 cents into a 3 dollar pot and an 8 player field in an attempt to get paid off.

I just saw someone stack himself in this way when a Q hit on the turn and he couldn't release and it reminded me of this thread.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Silent acorns under the tree
Hoping, hoping, the squirrel don't see
Their plump round shape nestled amongst the leaves
Before they can sprout and make more trees.

[/ QUOTE ]
Trying to figure out if I should be flattered you took the time to compose this or enraged at the dishonour you have inflicted on my "name".

I'll assume it's the former. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2005, 03:55 AM

A silent acorn on the path does lay
'Til comes the crunch of the woodsman's boot walking along his way
No more hope shall the acorn see
Of growing up to be a new tall tree.