Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 04:52 PM

Default Re: Annie Duke\'s book: anyone read it?

I was rather skeptical of people saying the reviews are fake, but after reading them, yeah, I'd have to agree.

Amazon reviews that short are typically very poorly spelled with no attempt at proper grammar or capitalization. And most that short are written by people who really hate the album/book/movie and are leaving a 1 star review, not 5 stars. If they are that short and positive they usually read: ANNA DUKE'S BOOK IS AWESOME AND SHE IS HOT I WANT TO GIVEY OU MY STBS!
Old 09-22-2005, 05:12 PM

Hi Ben:

After your review, which I'm confidant is accurate, I doubt if there will be many Two Plus Twoers lining up to purchase it.

I'm also curious about two things. First, how did you get an advance copy? Are you involved with the publishing company? Second, does Duke discuss the ill fated Poker World magazine, her roll in it, and all the problems that followed?

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 09-22-2005, 06:49 PM

Poker World - wasn't that out in the mid 90's?

I think I subscribed to it, got the first 6 issues and then it went belly up.

If that is the same magazine, I had no idea she was involved.

Very interesting.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:50 PM

Hi Mason:

[ QUOTE ]

I'm also curious about two things. First, how did you get an advance copy? Are you involved with the publishing company?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am in the business, but have no direct connection with the publisher (Penquin Group). Someone there who knows of my interest in poker gave me an advance copy.

[ QUOTE ]
Second, does Duke discuss the ill fated Poker World magazine, her roll in it, and all the problems that followed?

[/ QUOTE ]

She devotes barely a page to her Poker World venture. She says she was looking to diversify financially, and so, "Along with my brother and a few other backers, I invested $10,000 to launch a new publication. (At the time, this was a huge financial commitment for me.)"

She quickly breezes over any details about starting and operating the magazine. (She does mention one typical start-up mistake: her sister had just graduated and needed a job, so she was hired.) She says that the magazine failed because the timing was not yet ripe for a poker magazine, and, "Also, I didn't get along with one of the principals involved. I didn't get along with my sister, either. And I didn't have the money to hire the right kind of staff. In fact, none of us knew exactly what we were doing, and I had pretty much taken the whole success or failure of the magazine onto myself."

No further details about the fate of the magazine or those involved, other than that she decided that she needed to concentrate on playing, and they shut the magazine down. Basically, it sounds like it was amateur hour.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was rather skeptical of people saying the reviews are fake, but after reading them, yeah, I'd have to agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't 80% of them!?

I received a free copy and 5 CD set read by Annie today. I'll be happy to give another view when I am finished.

---Leavenfish
Old 09-22-2005, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, I lost alot of respect for 2+2er Dan Harrington. He flat out lied on the back cover of the book with his positive review. I would like to see him defend his claims.

[/ QUOTE ]

At the risk of coming across as instigating, I would like to see you defend your claim that you lost a lot of respect for Dan Harrington because of his review and yet you didn't even mention Raymer, a fellow 2+2'er whose blurb on the back was more laudatory than Harrington's.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would'nt be suprised if they have'nt even read it.

Maybe she "Flirted" the reviews out of them [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Dave
Old 09-22-2005, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Annie Duke : How I Raised, Folded, Bluffed, Flirted, Cursed, and Won Millions at the World Series of Poker...

The reviews I read on amazon were all very positive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it's just me, but I got the sneaking suspicion that those reviews on Amazon were plants. In other words FOTA.

Friends of the author.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:04 PM

I wrote a review on Amazon about this book. Remember, I only skimmed this book, but it'll be a better review than any other on there. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s&n=507846
For the laugh of the day it is essential that you read Royal Straight Flush's review.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Annie Duke : How I Raised, Folded, Bluffed, Flirted, Cursed, and Won Millions at the World Series of Poker...

The reviews I read on amazon were all very positive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it's just me, but I got the sneaking suspicion that those reviews on Amazon were plants. In other words FOTA.

Friends of the author.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope, I guess you're not alone. LOL! I just posted my review on Amazon.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:16 PM

You "only skimmed the book"...and yet feel you can write a review?

Anyway...what are these "flaws" you did not feel compeled to elaborate on in the review?

I have to admit, I only skimmed it myself this evening, however it seems like a perfectly good read--rather like Positively Fifth Street with some autobiography thrown in. I'm looking forward to sitting down and going thru it next week.

---Leavenfish