Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2005, 02:20 AM

Default OK line with JJ vs. a LAG?

Online 5/10, I open with red jacks in the hijack seat. Loose/aggressive SB (58/12/3 over 300+ hands) calls.

Flop: 774r

SB donk bets, I call.

Turn: 7

SB bets, I call, planning to raise the river.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:40 AM

Default Re: OK line with JJ vs. a LAG?

What kind of a LAG is he? If he's the kind that likes to steal pots with a wide variety of hands, but will usually back down if played back at, I like this line. But if he's the kind of LAG that may bluff aggressively, or overplay his made hands, I prefer to just pop the turn. I think you'll get more action on a turn raise. He's more likely to put you on overcards and get frisky. Also, the river might be a card that would slow either you or him down.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:51 AM

I'd raise this turn with the intention of re-raising this turn. The type of LAG you're talking about may very well play A-high like an unbeatable hand. Make him show some serious aggression before you revert to calling down -- and with a LAG like this you have to punish on more than one street to get maximum value.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:55 AM

Agree. I'd raise the turn and re-raise.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:08 AM

My line: Press down the raise/bet button and don't let go of it until the hand is over.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:34 AM

I would start the raise fest on the flop, no need to wait till the turn. I have found most LAGs with a board like this in heads up situations will get really out of line on the flop, but if you pop them on the turn they are more likly to slow down with an A-high hand.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:37 AM

I think this guy is going to call a raise on the turn to try to pair and possibly bluff 3 bet some percentage of the time, 3 bet with any full house, and call down with any ace. What I don't think is ever going to happen is him fold the turn to your raise, because in his mind you obviously have just an ace high as that's what all LAG's think on flops like this. So I would get the raise in on the turn where you know you can get the two bets in and often get to put in a four bet against a worse hand. I always thought the river raise was best when you were in a situation where you wanted to avoid a three bet, or in a WA/WB situation where if you raise and your opponent is bluffing, he would just fold.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:37 AM

SinCityGuy:

I like this line a lot. Sure, if the guy is overaggressive, get some more bets in on the flop and/or turn. But a high AF is often a result of folding postflop....and a guy with a 3AF and a VPIP of 58% is either a maniac (which I would assume you would include in your read) or just uber loose preflop and settles into a more TAG style postflop.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SinCityGuy:

I like this line a lot. Sure, if the guy is overaggressive, get some more bets in on the flop and/or turn. But a high AF is often a result of folding postflop....and a guy with a 3AF and a VPIP of 58% is either a maniac (which I would assume you would include in your read) or just uber loose preflop and settles into a more TAG style postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably should have given more info on this guy. He was very aggressive, but he did fold a few hands postflop after a show of strength.