Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-27-2005, 06:46 PM

Default $11- Standard plays?

I don't play many sit-and-goes, and I was wondering what peoples' thoughts were on the flop play and on the river play. I don't have any glaring reads on SB... he seems like a decent player who built up a good stack by staying pretty patient. I haven't been playing that many hands, either. Is the flop bet okay? What about the river bluff, given my table image (which might not matter that much anyway)?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (4 handed) converter

SB (t4005)
Hero (t5860)
UTG (t1095)
Button (t2540)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t675) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t400</font>, SB calls t400.

Turn: (t1475) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (t1475) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t1000</font>
Old 12-27-2005, 06:52 PM

Default Re: $11- Standard plays?

I like it. His likely hand is something like 97 or 98, and he'll have an awfully hard time calling that river bet with those holdings. Well played.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:01 PM

I would prefer to fire out another bet on the turn instead of checking. With the river card, there are too many possibilities on the board that will beat you. The way you played it, I dont think the river bet is going to scare him very much, especially if he caught any piece of the board.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would prefer to fire out another bet on the turn instead of checking. With the river card, there are too many possibilities on the board that will beat you. The way you played it, I dont think the river bet is going to scare him very much, especially if he caught any piece of the board.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no, no. Villain's check on the river is the reason we can make the play for the pot. All action up until the turn is consistent with hearts or a jack. We'd be walking right into a trap a significant amount of time if we fired again on the turn.

And the river card is defnitely scary to a naked 9. Any queen or ten just got there. Hero could easily have a 10 in villain's eyes - "Let's see, he stabbed at the flop on a bluff, gave up on the turn, I'll check through this river and win with my bottom pai... oh no! He rivered me!"

And in all honesty, that flop bet screams weakness, and as you move up the better players will play back at you on occasion, but that min-bet wins the pot so often at the $11's that it's practically mandatory.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:17 PM

Eh you can bully people a lot on the bubble.

That is not to say that bluffing is smart in low limit SNG's. However, I am a proponent of continuation betting, but I typically don't fire more than one barrel at a random donk. Of course there are exceptions to every rule.

I think you played the hand pretty poorly, if I was gonna try to bully him I'd raise preflop and bet his stack if he checked it to me.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:39 PM

.....Or villain had a Jack, or nine, or the flush draw as well. Even if the villain calls and is expecting to lose, he will still be in 2nd place in chips. In order to really make him fear the 10 (assuming he didnt hit his flush), a larger bet would be needed.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
.....Or villain had a Jack, or nine, or the flush draw as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?

[ QUOTE ]
Even if the villain calls and is expecting to lose, he will still be in 2nd place in chips. In order to really make him fear the 10 (assuming he didnt hit his flush), a larger bet would be needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

The chances of him calling are very low. A larger bet isn't necessary--this is 1/4 of his stack.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:20 PM

It has been my experience that people don't normally call with 2-6 offsuit (or any other hand that didnt hit here) unless they are going to attempt to bluff you. so he either had a draw of some sort or believes his Ace high might be good. this knowledge leads me to the belief he has some sort of hand here most of the time. if he was on a straight draw, he hit it; if he was on a flush draw, he hit it; if he had a pair, he already hit it. i dont think he is folding to a 1000 chip bet, when he will still be in decent position to get ITM.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am a proponent of continuation betting, but I typically don't fire more than one barrel at a random donk. Of course there are exceptions to every rule.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you, but like I said before, I didn't think this guy was your standard $11 donk. I thought that he was playing some pretty good (not great) poker before that and that he might have some idea of my table image. I don't think I would try this against one of the players you are talking about.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
.....Or villain had a Jack, or nine, or the flush draw as well. Even if the villain calls and is expecting to lose, he will still be in 2nd place in chips. In order to really make him fear the 10 (assuming he didnt hit his flush), a larger bet would be needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's almost no chance the villain has a straight or a flush - he checked the turn and the river.

A nine or an underpair seems exceedingly likely to me, and I think the villain would have trouble calling either on the river. Heck, I may play these hands the same way villain did to this point, planning on making a play at the pot on a favorable turn card, and just deciding to shut down as the board got scarier and scarier. I know I'd fold to the river bet. It looks totally believable that hero has a ten to me.

I don't understand why some of you don't think this isn't a good spot for a bluff, even at an $11. Second stack doesn't want to lose many chips and get down near the level of the others here.