Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-14-2005, 05:42 AM

Default Re: So I\'m the chip leader...SB playalong

I call but you will be shown JJ...
Old 12-14-2005, 06:32 AM

I would have re-raised the minimum pre-flop just to make the others nervous (CL sits down in SB and re-raises a busy pot).
Amiller might have a hand but surely Boutthat isn't going all in if he's got you beat. I mean, what's he trying to protect? If he's got AJ or JJ he's surely going to call and keep you in the pot. If he's got AK, he's surely got to re-raise pre-flop and so the only hand that scares me is AQ.
As Doyle says, I'm not going to second guess myself here, especially when a beat doesn't leave me crippled so for me it's an instacall.
I presume, by the fact that you've posted that he did have you beat. That's poker!
Old 12-14-2005, 07:05 AM

I'll go out on a limb and say...hero calls.

You are ~50/50 against Ax and JJ. Sometimes he will have far less then this though. With all the money already in the middle + the fact that you are a significant favorite, how is this not an instacall?
Old 12-14-2005, 09:34 AM

How is this even close? Call and become a fatter chip leader. I can't believe some of you guys believe you'll be shown AK, AQ, AJ, or JJ often enough to consider a fold.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:42 AM

Pf fold, ATs needs to hit big to be playable out of position, it just doesnt enough. Wait for a better situation to exploit your big stack.

As this hand shows, even when hitting like this you cant be sure that you are best.

With the variouss levels of players in these tournaments I wouldnt totally disregard someone pushing with the nuts.

Also alot of players will push any pp here either knowing that they are less likely to be up against an A or repping it or simply because they like to push making plays.

Anyways you are all the wiser out of position.
Without reads it is harder to make ranges, donks would push A2 and call for 3k pf with it too. KK-QQ if overly agressive might. TT-55 too.

Sometimes it is worth sitting back and evaluate. Why risk so much with sofar so little invested in the pot. Logic deduction in these is few and far apart, every body seems to be hyperagressive. Fold and play to your strenghts in position.

But what do I know Stokken
Old 12-14-2005, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don't worry about being behind here

[/ QUOTE ] I think you do need to worry about being behind. You had a raiser and two callers (even though it was a min-raise, it was still a substantial portion of their chips). Playing AT like you have the nuts is just donking away chips, I think. You need to tread carefully. Check the hand, assess the situation, play some poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mean don't worry about being behind because you're never beat. I mean the pot's big enough that if you're beat, you're losing all your chips. So don't worry about it. Similarly, if a guy has a worse ace, you're getting all his chips, so don't worry much about that either. Like I said in my original post, you should be worrying about the hands they can have where it matters what you do (didn't strassa make a big post about this once?).

As for the flop action, call. You're behind sometimes, but not nearly often enough to fold against normal party players.

Steve
Old 12-14-2005, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How is this even close? Call and become a fatter chip leader. I can't believe some of you guys believe you'll be shown AK, AQ, AJ, or JJ often enough to consider a fold.

[/ QUOTE ] Jesus Christ, you think AK, AQ, AJ, and JJ are that uncommon? You have 3 other people seeing the flop. The person who is betting this is the person you should be most scared about. The initial raiser may have been trying for a steal (and is also short-stacked). The button may have been playing position. The MP was not playing position. He is betting all-in before the button even plays. He is betting when he knows there's a good chance the short stack will look him up.

There are no draws on the board. At the least, MP has an Ace. What are you hoping for? A9? A8? Good luck. I'm folding this piece of crap.

Here was my initial comment before the flop was posted:

[ QUOTE ]

The preflop action is a little worrisome. I would check this hand and see what develops. The nice thing is that the preflop raiser is the short stack. He is likely to push this flop. If he pushes and everybody else folds, I would certainly call. If everybody checks and the button bets, I might push. If BOUTTHAT111 bets, I don't know what I'm doing. Depends on the size of the bet, I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stand by this assessment. Fold.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since this is a $5 party MTT,

[/ QUOTE ]

Insta call.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:27 PM

I have a question.. do you not think the MP makes this same play with a A9, A8, JK, JQ, or small PP often enough to make it profitable? For the record, I would call. even if we lose, we have a good stack, and I think there is a decent chance the MP is putting a move on the shortie with these hands hoping he goes away (the shortie would still have 10 bb, so it's not like he's completely committed).
Old 12-14-2005, 01:13 PM

I don't understand this at all.
You're chip leader, it's minimal cost to see a flop with what could end up being a nut hand, very cheaply. The worst that can happen pre-flop is that the BB raises everybody else in which case you've lost a few thousand chips. So I call.
There are two opponents to worry about and only one of them can have the last ace. It seems to me, as I explained elsewhere, that the guy who's gone all in would be very unlikely to have AJ or JJ. I can't see why he would want to close me out if he did so the worry is the first to act. He's covered by the all in anyway. If he puts all his chips in too, he's probably got the best hand but you still get the remainder of the second guy's chips, leaving you almost square.
The all-in may have AQ - again I think AK unlikely because of his pre-flop call.