Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine

Old 12-02-2005, 08:50 PM

Default Cross-country skiiing

When I lived in Norway, I used to cross-country ski a lot. It was very fun.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:09 PM

Default Re: Cross-country skiiing

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cross-country skiing is not only fun it is great exercise and you can get out into remote places and relax and enjoy the quiet in the snowy outdoors. I have a pair of cross-country skis that is more than twenty years old and I still use them every winter.

I recently read this somewhere:

[ QUOTE ]
The first snows of winter are about to strike at my place as the bald eagles are moving in to sit in the trees along the river bank. They will feed on the Lake Superior whitefish that migrate up the river from Flathead Lake to spawn. They also find gut piles from the deer that hunters shoot. Our national bird, the bald eagle, is a scavenger. It is a pretty and majestic bird brought back from almost extinction from DDT poisoning, when that stuff was still legal to use. Time is right to winterize my tractor, wax my cross country [sic] skis, and catch some of those whitefish for the freezer. My bones tell me it's going to be a long, cold one.

[/ QUOTE ]

When a young rambunctious lad I worked in Southeast Alaska and saw numerous bald eagles - some up very close - near streams and rivers. But Ray is correct that the birds are mainly a scavenger, just like vultures.

Ray Zee probably still has a pair of wooden cross-country skis and gets out the pine tar every year to recondition them. He is a very old man. He also has a tractor that needs 'winterizing' but I wager there are a few body parts Mr. Zee needs to winterize also. The rumor is that he is a good fisherman, and I hear he can play poker fairly well. Both are probably true.

-Zeno
Old 12-03-2005, 07:19 PM

i like to go up in glacier national park to ski. but where i live is just as nice around my property. i have a great couple mile or so loop. but often i just like to put on the snow shoes and tramp thru the deep snow.
we have gotten a bunch of snow this year so the ground will be covered till springtime in july.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:20 PM

I have a pair of cross-country skis I get out every once in a while. I havn't ever gone to a park but just go cross country behind my house. Like Ray I often prefer my snow shoes. I have a pair of the big Atlas snow shoes that I use for deep powder and a couple of smaller pair which work fine is packed snow.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been doing this since I was 5, and still get to do this once or twice a year. But I have to admit that I no longer know what cross country skiing is. A little over 20 years ago, I started seeing "cross country" skis that looked to be an inch or two wide. I was amazed, but was assured that everybody used them. It turns out that what I've always called "cross country" is now called "back country" (whatever happened to "Nordic"?), which I still do on wide skiis.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i like to go up in glacier national park to ski.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ray,

I loved your description of the bald eagles doing their thing. I used to wilderness canoe just across the border during my adolescent summers, and it was a lucky trip if we got to see a big eagle. Awesome that the populations are doing well 30 years later!

Cheers,
Spee