Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Size Does Matter

I am not convinced that he does have the big draw with 6d7d, but I hadn't seen it mentioned yet as a possibility. It is very unlikely that the "solid, competent player" in the SB called with 67o.

Of course, if you were "sure" that he had the big draw, then calling would be acceptable and acting according to the turn. But there are a lot of hands here that would make the same move here, and you would be way ahead of.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:01 PM

I figure his range is QQ-44, Ac8c+, 67cc-jtcc, jts, qj, kj. I think its best to call the flop and raise/bet a non diamond turn. If I raise the flop then I'm going to have a tough time calling a push, but just as hard of a time folding.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:20 PM

I call and evaluate turn.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:22 PM

I knew you would you crazy cash player you.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:26 PM

Serious question jason. what hands do you raise on this flop?
Old 12-02-2005, 05:29 PM

Just out of curiousity, why in the world does this smell like QQ?

If it is, then congratulations to the SB because he sure fooled me.

I think you rarely see QQ from the small blind in this situation.

Brad
Old 12-02-2005, 05:30 PM

Let's see...one, maybe two draws (but probably one), the board is not scary at all and that's a probe bet if I've ever seen one.

If you raise, you might stack a jack or get away from the hand when a monster does something dumb like min-3 bet (this doesn't happen too often, though.) But you'll often fold an 88 type hand that you want in.

If you call, a K or Q makes it fairly hard to play the hand because they're in the 'decent flush draw' range. It also usually makes it more difficult to stack a 'good' jack, but you'll get the most out of 88 and JT. You might also blow a draw off on the turn, which is a plus.

I'm 50/50 on what to do here and sometimes do either, but given your likely image at this point I like a raise more.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:30 PM

i think raising lets him get off his bluffs/bad hands, and then ets him jam when he has you beat. This is how you've knocked me out of the last two tournaments i was in with you. Leading out w/ some two pair/set.

I think i like calling here, maybe raising the turn, but i dunno if stack sizes will be big enough to do that w/o pushing.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:33 PM

I think your hand needs to be played very cautiously, due to the fact that SB is a solid player. He called a big raise in terrible position and then led into you on a draw heavy board. At this point, I could very easily see him holding QQ in this position, not wanting to shove pre-flop with such a deep stack, or a flopped set. He knows you are an aggresive player and if he is a thinking player he would lead into the aggresive player everytime with a strong holding in this position hoping to be raised.

I think just calling on the flop accomplishes a couple good things for you in the hand. It gives us an oppurtunity to see the turn (he cant jam to a raise). It will slow down any PP lower than jacks. If the third diamond does fall and he has a set it will slow him down as well providing us with a cheaper showdown. And finally, we have position to re-evaluate the situation after the turn.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:40 PM

I played a hand extremely similiar to this one in a NL 2000 tournament during the WSOP..Juanda limped UTG, I raised kind of earlyish, Hoyt Coykins called with QQ in the SB and led a J high flop. Only difference was the flop was all spades...and I had JJ no AJ