Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2005, 07:18 PM

Default Help me decide between UB and PS

I've been playing at PokerRoom, mostly the $5 buy-in MTTs and SnGs. I've been really having troubles with the MTT structure at PR, the blinds go up every other second, taking the edge out of players like me. SnGs are just fine, and I'm winning almost 80% of the $5 SnGs I play.

I thought about going to PokerStars, but today I took a look at their tournament schedule, and since I'm looking for the $5 buy-in MTTs, their options didn't seem as attractive as UB, with several $5 MTTs per day, a lot of them with guaranteed prizes.

How does these 2 sites compare? Which site would you recommend to play low buy-in MTTs? Are the blinds faster at UB?
Old 02-07-2005, 12:08 AM

Default Re: Help me decide between UB and PS

I will help you out since I play the low buy-in tourneys as well. I play these almost exclusively on UB. The structure moves slowly, which gives skillful players an advantage, and you start with 1500 chips (they changed it recently from 1000). PS just has too many people for me (1500+ in a $5 tourney), while UB will have 600-700 in the 7:00 eastern time $5. Overall the play is slightly better at UB, but not extremely difficult.

I have done this "exclusive" play for about two weeks, and took down the Fri 7 p.m. tourney. Come join me, my name is the same, ntg816. You'll find me probably four nights a week in the 7 p.m. tourney. Is your name the same?
Old 02-07-2005, 12:11 AM

I have both and I have to go with Stars. They have more traffic and much better software. I cannot stand UB's interface anymore.....
Old 02-07-2005, 12:19 AM

Default Oh I forgot

Another reason I like UB more is the game much moves quicker. There are more hands in a tournament than at PS. 10 seats compared to 9 seats means blinds come around less often, means you can wait longer to pick your spot.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:57 AM

Default Re: Oh I forgot

OK, here's a very, VERY boring test I did: I spent some time watching the 200-400 level at PokerRoom, PokerStars and UltimateBet. Here are the results:

PokerStars: 17 hands
UltimateBet: 11 hands
PokerRoom: 9 hands

Of course this is not 100% exact, but it gives me enough to make my choice. I'm just gonna wait for my absurd bad luck to stop killing any chance I have of becoming a decent poker player.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:09 AM

I cannot stand UB's interface anymore.....

you are being sarcastic right?? The interface is ewasily the best in online play.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I cannot stand UB's interface anymore.....

you are being sarcastic right?? The interface is ewasily the best in online play.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is your oppinion... Mine is it flat out sucks. The way it looks, button placement, tournament windows you have to keep refreching etc. Poker Stars has the best software on the net, that is my OPINNION.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

oppinion

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OPINNION

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-07-2005, 09:25 AM

I have an account with both, an both have there upsides. There are actually more lower buy in tournies available on UB and the blind structure I believe is much better on UB than on PS. The upside in my opinion to PS is the tournaments have larger fields, thus larger payouts and the quality of players overall I think is a bit better but because of the blind structure luck plays too much of a factor late in the tournaments when narrowing the field from like 30 to 9. No matter which you choose though, you really can't go wrong.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:57 AM

my 2...

Stars has arguably the best software, but as far as the poster is concerned UB is the better choice as far as availability of $5 tourneys.